Wade's new 180 - to be sps dominated tank

wade

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice rock work, Wade. Are you hoping that the urchins clear out the algae? Have you considered using something like AlgaeFix Marine to try to get rid of it completely? That Wikipedia link seemed to imply that the nucleus was in the rhizome so that, even if the top were lopped off, it would regenerate. (Hard to believe that this is a single-celled organism seeing how large and complex looking they are. They're similar to caulerpa that way, I suppose.)

I've never used a chemical treatment before... not even sure if something like that would work or not.  Any experience with AlgaeFix?  

The tangs (the yellow at least) do eat the caps off of the algae, but that doesn't do much when you have thousands of them.  But to be honest, I'm not even concerned about those as much as the brown thick mat of algae that hides underneath many of them.  The urcins do a marvelous job of cleaning... but its sporadic.  I get trails up and down rocks that are cleaned of everything... so they certainly help keep it in check, but they won't get rid of it all.  I recently started running some phosphate removal media to try to fight it as well.. seems to be working albeit slowly.

I used it to knock down some hair algae in a smaller tank a while back. MBVette used it to knock down a free-floating single-celled microalgae that clouded his tank last winter. I think that it interrupts the algae's metabolic processes and leads to it bleaching or weakening. In the case of large stuff like you have, you'd want to vacuum it out once it was weakened and before it dumped the nutrients right back in to the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: very short video of the tank from tonight. 

Warning: the camera has no idea how to handle the blue light so things aren't very crisp, but its something. I will take a much better one soon.  

Oh, and I apologize for the music, but the background clatter of dog toenails and baby banging in the background was even more distracting.

Thanks. The school of firefish was a hope I had based on what I'd seen in the wild. So far, of the 6 I put in, 5 actually stay together and have totally become used to the tank and always stay out. Even when I put my hand in the tank.  

The brown algae is mostly under control.  Corals are growing like mad and I finally am starting to see corraline on the glass.

Loving the aquascape, the tank looks amazing, well done, all that sps will be nice once grown in!

• 5 weeks later...

Since I'm stuck at home, I just tried to take some more pics of the tank.  These LEDs make photoraphy tough... at any rate, here are 3 images of the tank.  Nothing is cleaned up, just 'as is'.

This is ~4.5 months in.  Seeing some great growth.  Colors are generally staying bright.  Down to only yellow tang, flame angel, 3 firefish, and a scooter blenny from my previous post (the video above) due to fluke infection.  My cleaner wrasse did a bang up job on the tang and angel before it succumbed itself. Lesson learned... get 2 so they can clean each other.

Anyway, here are some pics. I'll try to stitch together a pano of the whole tank so folks can see more detail.

post-2632297-0-88658000-1381437009_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-69123900-1381437016_thumb.jpg

post-2632297-0-02706500-1381437023_thumb.jpg

Can do. Still have some items to get together on the tank before that happens.  Need to rework my return line and get my reactors flowing again (using powerheads is a mess).  Give me a few months and it'll be ready to go!

(edited)

Whole tank shot, this represented the colors fairly well. Had to adjust it to 12000K.

gallery_2632297_1314_136738.jpg

I'll do this as an attachment as well, since I think its a bigger image.

post-2632297-0-16521700-1381438717_thumb.jpg

Edited by wade