question

Huly

Do y'all have a local store? We need an ATO as we are having evaporation and salinity spikes but what would be best for a Red Sea Max 250

Sorry, no local store. Our shop is out in Maurertown, probably farther than you'd want to drive, and I ship from Rockville. It will get to you the next day though!

What one do you suggest for a Red Sea Max 250? Is there only one or do you have a certain one you would suggest?

They have one that is AIO and another that you need to get a pump for. If you want a simple AIO just get their deluxe.

Thanks!

Depends on the space also where you'll be measuring the water level, Christine. They have one version with a nano mount that's good for using in tight spaces like the back of a Biocube or other AIO setups. They have another mount that holds the sensor with a couple of extra spaces to hold tubing that might come from a dosing system. This mount is larger and may not fit in the back of a nano.

For sizing purposes, from their website:

(regular mount) Magnet bracket dimensions: 2-3/4" front to back x 4-1/4" wide (excluding external magnet half, 5/8" thick)

Nano bracket dimensions: 2-3/8" front to back x 2-5/8" wide (excluding external magnet half, 5/8" thick)

How high can the sensor be mounted with the magnetic mount included? Will the lip of my sump/40breeder be in the way if I wanted my water to be about 4-5" below the top?

Edited by mr.x-ray

How high can the sensor be mounted with the magnetic mount included? Will the lip of my sump/40breeder be in the way if I wanted my water to be about 4-5" below the top?

From personal experience, no. This should not be a problem. With the lip of the tank, you can probably adjust the stock sensor tube to within an inch or an 1-1/2 inches of the top. The thing that limits you is the size of the magnetic mount itself and getting it to hold the sensor tube securely. If you were to modify the sensor tube by drilling a small hole in the side of the body, you could use the hole to set the height of the water and adjust it right up to the top of the tank because the sensor tube would be held below the hole..

When you say your shop is in Mauretown, Is that Mauretown up in the shen. valley? I grew up around Mauretown and Toms Brook

When you say your shop is in Mauretown, Is that Mauretown up in the shen. valley? I grew up around Mauretown and Toms Brook

Yes. That's where they are.

The difference between the two links you posted is that the second one includes a pump, the first one does not. Given your small area I'd skip the float backup option.

If you get the one without the pump, you'll have to get something else to pump your makeup water into your tank.

The difference between the two links you posted is that the second one includes a pump, the first one does not. Given your small area I'd skip the float backup option.

If you get the one without the pump, you'll have to get something else to pump your makeup water into your tank.

What pump do you suggest?

What pump do you suggest?

If I were buying now, I'd give the Avast pump a shot. Currently running one from BRS - but they're both the same price. Avast supports our club though :)

I haven't had a problem with my BRS pump, but I know my Dad's gone through two of them. One went out after about a year of use. The other just after a couple months and was replaced under warranty.

If I were buying now, I'd give the Avast pump a shot. Currently running one from BRS - but they're both the same price. Avast supports our club though :)

I haven't had a problem with my BRS pump, but I know my Dad's gone through two of them. One went out after about a year of use. The other just after a couple months and was replaced under warranty.

Thanks

If I were buying now, I'd give the Avast pump a shot. Currently running one from BRS - but they're both the same price. Avast supports our club though :)I haven't had a problem with my BRS pump, but I know my Dad's gone through two of them. One went out after about a year of use. The other just after a couple months and was replaced under warranty.
Mine was outside warranty. I don't expect stuff to run forever but I was disappointed that BRS did not sell replacement motors. I disassembled mine and have been poking around the web for a compatible motor. Part of the reason I went with Avast is that they do sell replacement parts.Here is a video of the avast pump. I would recommend not placing it on a wall as I have since it amplifies the sound. As soon as my back recovers from contorting into the fish closet I will relocate it.

Lets try the video link again

Edited by armydoc

Can someone answer these questions:

Type of AVAST ATO product:

So, from what I understand, the difference between regular and deluxe avast top off is that one comes with a pump and the other does not?

Mount:

Looks like we will want the Nano Magnet mount:

• Magnet bracket dimensions: 2-3/4" front to back x 4-1/4" wide (excluding external magnet half, 5/8" thick)
  • Nano bracket dimensions: 2-3/8" front to back x 2-5/8" wide (excluding external magnet half, 5/8" thick)

We may want to check where we mount it in the RSM and make sure there is no interference with some of the plastic in the back

• Magnet strength: up to 1/2" glass

Digital Version:

I see the following switches are available including switches for controllers we may be interested in getting in the future. If we are interested in using a controller in the future (like neptune's apex), do we get the digital version now, or can that be added to a standard one later?

• Standard Switch
  • Digital Switch, bare wire/ Neptune Break out BoX
  • Digital Switch, Neptune compatible
  • Digital Switch, Profilux compatible
  • Digital Switch, Reef Angel compatible
  • Digital Switch, RKE/RKL compatible

Sensitivity:

Per the site: Water level sensitivity: 1/2"

Does that mean my water level could be a half an inch off? The reason I am asking, is because the protein skimmer in the RSM is very finicky. Any water level drops, and it does not work as it should.

Placement:

Based upon the diagram of the sump here: http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/250_filtration_big.html

Where should we place the mount?

Get the standard version now. The digital version won't be usable until you have a controller. You can always resell the standard version later, or can save it for one of your other tanks (yes, Christie, there will be other tanks).

The water level sensitivity is worst case. It's monitored in the part of the system that exhibits the effects of evaporation. Looking at the RSM250 documentation, it looks like this would be either the leftmost or rightmost chambers. However, the "fine polishing" (mechanical) filter between the left and center chamber, if it became clogged, would lower the water level in the leftmost chamber while raising it in the center chamber and the right chamber. (This would affect the performance of the skimmer in the center chamber and really does not reflect the need to top off.) I look at this as bad design, frankly, and would probably remove the polishing filter so that it doesn't cause this problem level-shifting problem, then put the ATO level sensor in the leftmost chamber..