question

Huly

I think Tom covered just about everything (thanks Tom!), but Huly's recent question about adding digital output to a standard ATO is no, since they are wired differently. A competent DIY'er could take it apart and do it though, as it is not complex.

The video Omair added shows the standard ATO using one of the newer maxi-jet utility pumps with a fitting that we custom made basically just for the video. It is an old sensor tube cut down and stuck into a threaded male adapter and threaded onto the MJ's output nozzle.

As for location in the Red Sea back chamber, looking at that diagram suggests that near location #2 would be the return pump chamber where the water level is going to vary.

Note that the sensor tube can be cut down if it is too tall and would stick out of the top. We make them long to account for the travel in the backup float valve that is optional.

As for location in the Red Sea back chamber, looking at that diagram suggests that near location #2 would be the return pump chamber where the water level is going to vary.

I'd still pull the water polisher (#9 in the diagram) as the level in the other two chambers will be affected by clogging in this screen. If it's clogging, the water level near the skimmer and at location #2 will rise higher than in the leftmost chamber independent of evaporation. A sensor near location #2 will therefore not trigger the ATO and salinity will rise some. If in the leftmost chamber, the opposite will occur, the ATO will dilute the tank. If you pull the polishing screen, the level in both the leftmost and rightmost chambers will better controlled, though the rightmost chamber may be affected by debris in the open cell foam filter (#5). I'm not sold on any of the open cell filters (just an opinion) in this chain, by the way. They're there to filter out large particles and to also keep the intake grates of the pumps clear so they don't clog, but they can affect the level in the sump such that an ATO receives the wrong information.

Thanks! I am hoping Pez makes up his mind where I can order today and get it by Saturday :)

two last questions I swear:

If we get the digital do you have to have a digital controller or can you add it later?

Is the basic ATO pressure sensor or floaty device?

As soon as I get back to office I will order it. Will I still get it tomorrow or Saturday

Christine, I'm out of town for a week starting tomorrow, but if you and Chris need help getting this set up, I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Awesome thanks!

Oh and Tom thanks if dad and pez have issues I will let u know