SPS slow death?

YHSublime

The very base of this coral looks like it may have eggs and AEFW. You;d see it better.

My post about where you got your corals from was because I know there where AEFW in some corals being sold recently. That's been taken care of.

DSC_0271_zpsce3290ec.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The very base of this coral looks like it may have eggs and AEFW. You;d see it better.

My post about where you got your corals from was because I know there where AEFW in some corals being sold recently. That's been taken care of.

DSC_0271_zpsce3290ec.jpg

Thanks for clearing that up Jan. I dipped all the corals, will continue to dip. Is every day overdoing it/too much stress? Now that I have looked at that picture again, it makes me wonder if it is too far gone? Either way, I'll be holding onto them, until they die, or get back to health, as it's the only SPS I have in the tank.

I've not had to deal with AEFW so I don't know. I have seen them on corals and know what to look for and what they look like. There are others far more knowledgeable and experienced in this area from personal experience, than I.

Thanks for clearing that up Jan. I dipped all the corals, will continue to dip. Is every day overdoing it/too much stress? Now that I have looked at that picture again, it makes me wonder if it is too far gone? Either way, I'll be holding onto them, until they die, or get back to health, as it's the only SPS I have in the tank.

Dipping every day is over kill and will stress the coral and kill it. As I detailed in an earlier post weekly dips are all that's needed. I still do not see any eggs on any of your corals pictured.

Dipping every day is over kill and will stress the coral and kill it. As I detailed in an earlier post weekly dips are all that's needed. I still do not see any eggs on any of your corals pictured.

Thanks for following up. After yesterdays dip, it seems like maybe the best thing to do is crack a cold one and wait.

Wrasses will not eradicate AEFW.

Dipping will not eradicate them either but might increase the chance of getting rid of them. The worms will lay their eggs on bases of corals and at some point may or may not come loose from the bases and spread to other non-acro species. Not saying that they will bother non-acro species, just that the egg bundles could be found anywhere in a tank that has AEFW.

Since we're all members of the same club, we should be able to man up or woman up and take the responsibility to NEVER sell acroporas that have been infected with AEFW to other club members. (or anyone else)

It's easy to make quick buck off the un-informed, but that really isn't cool.

I'm not trying to start a flame war either, but since no one else will point this out, I'll throw it out there.

I have battled AEFWs and they can be eradicated with dipping, I've done it twice in two seperate systems, about four years ago. I know of several other members in the club that used the same method with results.

It isn't about taking the responsibility as much as it is that many people do not know that they even have them. The emphasis should be on making sure members dip and QT all new livestock. Do routine inspections of your corals, including a random pull and dip to make sure nothing sneaks into the system.

And when you do get them just relax, they don't kill your coral over night. Take your time and read up on the identification, cures, and procedures before taking action. For the record, we still do not know if he even has AEFW.

Read the pdf in this thread to help you ID them.

http://wamas.org/for.../page__hl__aefw

Thanks, this will be very helpful!

Wrasses will not eradicate AEFW.

Dipping will not eradicate them either but might increase the chance of getting rid of them. The worms will lay their eggs on bases of corals and at some point may or may not come loose from the bases and spread to other non-acro species. Not saying that they will bother non-acro species, just that the egg bundles could be found anywhere in a tank that has AEFW.

Since we're all members of the same club, we should be able to man up or woman up and take the responsibility to NEVER sell acroporas that have been infected with AEFW to other club members. (or anyone else)

It's easy to make quick buck off the un-informed, but that really isn't cool.

I'm not trying to start a flame war either, but since no one else will point this out, I'll throw it out there.

I'm not planning on a wrasse to even help with the problem. That is if the problem is AEFW, I would like to 100% positively ID first. So hypothetically, here are some situations:

1.) I toss the SPS, there is a chance there are some eggs already blown off, eggs hatch, AEFW starves/dies.

2.) If I keep the SPS, there is a chance the dips could work and all the AEFW is gone. (What you're saying is this wont eradicate, only temporary disable?)

3.) If I keep the SPS, there is a chance the eggs could blow off somewhere else and hatch, then come back and finish off the rest of the SPS. Then starve/die

4.) If I keep the SPS, there is a chance that they could not die anyways from dips, and eat all the SPS, and then starve/die.

Unless there is something I don't know about AEFW (Which I'm sure is A LOT I don't know,) 2-4 are no different than 1, right? Are you telling me that with just dipping, the probably will never fully be taken care of, unless I rid all acropora from the tank, and let AEFW die?

I agree with what you said above, and I don't believe that anybody is selling acroporas with AEFW that they know about, that would be pretty shoddy. At least that I know about, I am a new member to this community, though, and maybe there are things that you know that I don't.

That being said, I hope to make the best of whatever this is in my tank, and get everything healthy and growing, pest free!

I have battled AEFWs and they can be eradicated with dipping, I've done it twice in two seperate systems, about four years ago. I know of several other members in the club that used the same method with results.

It isn't about taking the responsibility as much as it is that many people do not know that they even have them. The emphasis should be on making sure members dip and QT all new livestock. Do routine inspections of your corals, including a random pull and dip to make sure nothing sneaks into the system.

And when you do get them just relax, they don't kill your coral over night. Take your time and read up on the identification, cures, and procedures before taking action. For the record, we still do not know if he even has AEFW.

Thanks, you wrote this as I was composing my thoughts. Trying to make heads or tails of em'.

Revive dip this afternoon. Will post more results, this is an IMMEDIATE finding.

DSC_0286_zps18566c52.jpg

DSC_0288_zps844441b0.jpg

DSC_0289_zpsbac74e4d.jpg

DSC_0291_zps4a35f347.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsc67eaca5.jpg

My guess is that that is an amphipod, and not a bad thing. But I'd like to hear what others have to say.

I'm not going to argue further about wrasses and/or dipping eradicating AEFW, just know that washes alone have worked for me in the past and I am not the only one who has reported this. All you have to do to rid them for good is get all of the worms and all of the eggs. They aren't some mythical creature which can only be killed with a certain magic sword.

This aefw topic needs to be restarted with the appropriate title and anyone who has ever had personal experience with them should step in and join the "teaching". There are so many people on here that don't know anything about them, (believe it or not) from hobby veterans to new people. It would be great to have this new thread be informative that way people don't get misinformation from reading "fragments" of aefw talk hidden in forums like this one.