Sump/protien skimmer help please.

YHSublime

(edited)

So I have what I have been told is a crappy skimmer, a coralife 165. I don't have the cap for it, but I heard i can use anything really... like a dinner plate. I just would like a temporary fix for the next couple days, and want to make sure I'm using my sump properly.

This is it in the stand atm.

DSC_0272_zps24810703.jpg

eshopps_rs100_reef_sump.png

What is missing from mine is the bag on the left, and the bulkhead. That is just a hole. I have my motor for the skimmer in the right hand side (past what is the black sponge in the picture, first chamber on the right. I have my drop tube landing in the middle. I have my return tube also picking up from the middle. I have the skimmer hanging off the right side. the part that is meant to have the sponge attached is just a tube that sticks in about 1" into the water. The pump is pushing water into the skimmer, and up through the cone, and for the first min. or so it was very bubbly, but now it's stopped, almost no bubbles. I adjust from where the pump is pushing water through, and the water level raises to the top of the cone, but still no foaming, or "skimming." What should I do, or what am I doing wrong? Please don't mind the duct tape, remember, I said temporary!'

DSC_0273_zps84ebd8d1.jpg

DSC_0274_zps27236bb1.jpg

Edited by YHSublime

Are the bubbles nice and fine? Make sure the plate is not on too tight as air needs to escape out the top. If the top is on too tight the pressure will not allow anthing to rise up into the collection cup.

Are the bubbles nice and fine? Make sure the plate is not on too tight as air needs to escape out the top. If the top is on too tight the pressure will not allow anthing to rise up into the collection cup.

if anything, the plate is just barely resting on the top (might as well not be there. Now there are NO bubbles, when I adjust the water level just goes up or down.

Try raising the pump up. If the pump/venturi is too low there isn't enough suction to draw in the air. Just hold it up closer to the water line and see if that helps. If it does you need to shorten the tub from the pump to the skimmer or lower the water level.

Also make sure the hose and venturi are clean and air flows easily.

those e-shopps sumps are crap. the acrylic is thinner than 1/4" and the seams tend to fail. do yourself a solid favor and ditch it now before it turns into a nightmare.

+1 on the airline being clogged.

Where is the air-line for the skimmer pump? It's not that clear tubing that loops back into the last chamber, (with the end in the water), is it? One end needs to be in open air. Also, is the pump running? If so, check the venturi and the air line to make sure they're open. If the path is open, check to make sure that the impeller in the pump turns freely on the shaft. If not, it may need cleaning.

Where is the air-line for the skimmer pump? It's not that clear tubing that loops back into the last chamber, (with the end in the water), is it? One end needs to be in open air. Also, is the pump running? If so, check the venturi and the air line to make sure they're open. If the path is open, check to make sure that the impeller in the pump turns freely on the shaft. If not, it may need cleaning.

+1 I would remove it put it in a pail or container and play with it outside the sump until you understand how to operate it. Download the users manual

(edited)

those e-shopps sumps are crap. the acrylic is thinner than 1/4" and the seams tend to fail. do yourself a solid favor and ditch it now before it turns into a nightmare.

+1 on the airline being clogged.

It already looks stressed at the seams, I was afraid of that.

There clear tube (thin) links from the pump into the small airline hole... is that the one?

Is that the airline under water? I see a air tube but looks submerged.

There is a tube that links between the two, is it meant to link from the pump to the "air" or from the skimmer to "air." The thicker plastic clear tube is meant to have a sponge on it (didn't come with it) so it just drops off about an inch above the waterline, I also tried with it in the water as well.

YHSublime, Any update? Did you find the problem?

When I unhook what everybody appears to be calling the air tube, it hisses, and definitely generates bubbles. The bubbles are clear though, and it makes a pretty nasty noise. Should it link from the pump to air, or skimmer to air. I presume from the pump to air, or else what would be the point of a line from the skimmer to air, when a hole would do just fine?

Edited by YHSublime

If its a Venturi pump it should have a air line that connects to the pump and comes out of the water to get air. Make sure their is no water in that line (I just blow on it).

Correct, the air line should come off of the venturi which is normally on the intake side of the pump. That line should go above the water line and allow air to enter freely.

Ok, the problem is I've been connecting to skimmer from the pump, let me try again.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You may also want to consider taking the crushed coral out of the sump. Dont really think it is helping at all and will only make it harder to clean later.

agree with the crushed coral in the sump. use fiji mud if you plan to plant stuff there otherwise use egg crate to stack live rocks on.

If its a Venturi pump it should have a air line that connects to the pump and comes out of the water to get air. Make sure their is no water in that line (I just blow on it).

You may also want to consider taking the crushed coral out of the sump. Dont really think it is helping at all and will only make it harder to clean later.

agree with the crushed coral in the sump. use fiji mud if you plan to plant stuff there otherwise use egg crate to stack live rocks on.

Ok, got bubbles, ran it for about 5 min, bubbles were very clear, a lot of hissing noises. I'm fairly sure this thing could be tweaked to work, but not worth it atm. I'll take the crushed coral out, would rather keep it simple.

Skimmer held together with Duct tape = need a new skimmer.

Yep...

Please don't mind the duct tape, remember, I said temporary!'

new one coming very soon.

I'm not familiar with the tank this is on yet. I assume that it's established and has full salinity salt water in it? Are you getting a lot of bubbles or just a few?

I'm not familiar with the tank this is on yet. I assume that it's established and has full salinity salt water in it? Are you getting a lot of bubbles or just a few?

Its on my new build (2 tanks 1 room) I'm pretty sure the skimmer is missing a few parts, and will be trading it out hopefully before this weekend. I'm getting a lot of bubbles now that I fixed the airline. I have never used a skimmer before, so not having parts and using an online pdf of a different model isn't the best way to learn! The tank is done cycling, with full salinity water. I'm just winding down from a diatom bloom. Just learning.

If you're interested in playing around with it, Google "Coralife Super Skimmer Mods" and see what you come up with.

Very cool, will take a look tonight when home from work.