New to WAMAS, New to SW

Figured I'd introduce myself, as I'm new here.

I have 3 current planted FW tanks, and have finally taken the SW plunge. I just set up my 56g with the following:

56g

Maxi Jet 1200

Koralia 850

Octopus BH1000 Skimmer

Current Outer Orbit 150w MH 96w x 2 PC Dual Actinic

Aragonite Sand

25lbs LR (for now)

Aquaclear 70 HOB

I knew nothing about this forum until I randomly bought my LR tonight from a member whose forum name I do not know.

I plan on adding both corals and fish, but will not be doing so until my tank has cycled. I look forward to talking to you all regularly!

Welcome.

Welcome!

I think a lot of people might tell you to skip the HOB filter, unless you want to clean it everyday. It's a nitrate trap. Your LR will be your filter, along w/ your skimmer, water changes, etc. You can have the power filter for circulation though, just keep it empty. At least, this is the advice that was given to me as I was/is starting. Enjoy!

Welcome to the club. I'm looking forward to seeing your tank pics once you have it stocked. Let us know if you need anything.

Welcome!

I think a lot of people might tell you to skip the HOB filter, unless you want to clean it everyday. It's a nitrate trap. Your LR will be your filter, along w/ your skimmer, water changes, etc. You can have the power filter for circulation though, just keep it empty. At least, this is the advice that was given to me as I was/is starting. Enjoy!

That all sems like good advice to me. Having the HOB filter does allow for a spot to run carbon and other media in if you don't have a sump.

Welcome!

Yeah, I've been thinking/reading about the HOB, but decided to run one since I will not be running a sump (for now). I am only running the carbon in it right now, and that's mainly because my tank got cloudy after adding my sand, and got even worse when I added my rock, which stirred up my sand. I also went with it in case I needed to run any special media due to an issue.

If I run anything at all when stocked, which I probably won't, I'll be keeping an eye on it closely.

Thanks everyone!