COMBATING BROWN ALGAE

reef addict

Hello fellow reefers. I'm getting irritated with the brown algae in my 120g DT. Been combating this for quite sometimes at least 3 month now and no improvement. I'm using dual reactor, have refugium, only feeding once a day, MP40w ES, Hydro korilla (1350GPH) . So all possible prevention have made, yet no improvement, 20% WC, have different kinds of snail, particularly cerith, conch, nassarius, I'm using VEGA color and reduce it 60% for 6 hrs. Parameter are close on the dot: NO3- .25, PO- 0, PH 8.2, CAL: 430, ALK: 9, MAG-1380, SAL-1027, TEMP-78.5. I could think of any that may cause this issue. DT been set up for over a year now. I have a little bit of everything (SPS, LPS, softies), yellow tang, poweder tang, salfin tang, Naso blonde, true percula.

Million thanks in advance.

What exactly do you have, dinoflagellates or diatoms? The snails you have listed are not the best for algae control. Turbo and astrea snails work best for me. A picture of the tank would help to see what kind of algae problem you have.

I would lower the SG some.

I forogt to list turbo and astrea I also have. Also using RO/DI. Don't know the difference between dino or diatoms. All I know brown in my sand bed and rocks, also some in the corals.

Never check my TDS. I know I changed the filter and membraine last Jan 2012. I think they are due for change. I'll have LFS to check the TDS for me. What is the desirable TDS?

When I see brown algae, that means its time to change my filters....you should always keep it near 0ppm as you possibly can like Dave said but I can usually let mine get to about 5-10ppm before i start to see algae and change my filters...

• 2 weeks later...

I think we identied the issue. It's my RO/DI. I changed all my filters including the brain and resins last Friday and did 20% WC last saturday. For the first time in 3 months, yesterday there is only minimal brown algae in my sand bed. It's almost not visible. I'm using AI Vega color and for the first time, I set them to the max (White: 100%, and the rest 80%). All corals are happy. I'm planning to do another 20%WC this weekend. Keep you posted.

Again, thanks to you all for helping me identifying the problem.

Glad to hear you solved the problem. I remember reading somewhere that silicates are one of the first contaminants to leach back out of DI resin when it is fully exhausted, and that they are a cause of brown diatoms.

Thanks for offering TDS, but i did order and recieved that as well last friday. So ut in MV? At least i know some1 now that is closer home. If u need any help, just give me a buzz. My name is Cj.

Had brown algae. Margaritas decimated it.

Tequila fixes most problems, but algae!?!?! :) My clowns already swim funny...would hate to see them after a few margaritas...HAHA

Tequila fixes most problems, but algae!?!?! :) My clowns already swim funny...would hate to see them after a few margaritas...HAHA

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....good catch

How many ppm out of the rodi is considered too high for a reef tank?

When, after running several minutes, ppm are consistently non-zero, I recommend changing out the DI resin as the resin is beginning to selectively release ions back in to the water. Some people wait until it's 2-4 ppm, but I like to change it out earlier for the reason stated.