Dosing Question..

cbatkinson

For those that dose 2-part...What section of the sump do you drop your Calcium and Alk into? Skimmer, return, refugium, etc? Does it make a difference, or is it largely personal preference?

Thanks...

I'd go directly into a high flow area of your tank (like next to the return pipe...). The reason for this is it puts it in the area that it's going to be used and also puts it away from places where it's likely to precipitate out (like the return pump or skimmer) and potentially cause problems.

High flow area for the reason that Chad mentioned. The flow rapidly dilutes the concentrated solution, minimizing abiotic precipitation. It's best to dose your calcium and alkalinity in different areas or at different times, if possible for the same reason.

I agree with above: return to 2 separate high flow sections of sump (e.g. calcium right next to return and alkalinity within te waterfall into the las sump section.

woe... I've always dosed in the sump where the return pump is... this isnt good?

That is how I burned my Acro.

woe... I've always dosed in the sump where the return pump is... this isnt good?

If dripping, this may not be a problem. If dumping, the short burst, if your return line were directed at a coral (as DCRreefer's case), it could be a problem. Especially if you were dumping in, for example, a highly concentrated kalk slurry (ala Anthony Calfo's technique) that blasted and possibly settled on to a coral.

Speaking of dosing, is there an expiration for say the B-ionic that I have been using for over 2 years ? The container does not have an expiration date.

Don't even remember when I bought it. I do the dosing manually.

Speaking of dosing, is there an expiration for say the B-ionic that I have been using for over 2 years ? The container does not have an expiration date.

Don't even remember when I bought it. I do the dosing manually.

It should be fine if it's just calcium chloride or one of the typical solutions. Just keep it tightly capped.