MORE palytoxin issues!!

smallreef

Thanks for sharing, I have probably over 15 palys in my tank that just grew out from the live rock.

They have greenish centers. It is scary to think about a deadly poison in my tank where I have put my hands

Several times a week.

David

There needs to be a sign at each LFS door... with Palys, lionfish/rabbitfish and the few others explaining some of the dangers....

but under Palys it would say DO NOT LICK THE ROCK, nor boil in an enclosed space, nor touch for an extended period of time, etc, etc, etc.

Better watch out what you say Kim. When I posted my palytoxin experience on RC, I was bombarded by people calling me a liar and saying that I was trying to get the coral trade regulated. The harassment got so bad that I had to change my username.

Thanks for the story, Kim. This couple had very similar symptoms to mine (passing in about the same timeframe). I can wholly sympathize, though my first exposure wasn't from boiling rocks - it was simply washing them under a stream of hot water in the sink. I even had symptoms present from using cold water. It's not just boiling that will get you into trouble. This stuff is potent.

So how do we know which palys are the most dangerous? Is it just the big ugly (imo) greenish brown ones?

I know they all can have palytoxin to some degree or another, but I would definitely like to avoid the worst ones...

Whenever I would see rock or coral with these palys attached, I tossed them out. To me they were ugly anyway and out competed other palys a zoas.