skimmers run 24/7? Except when feeding?

Rosco's Reefs

Planning for my skimmer to be added in next few weeks and wondering how folks ran them...all the time? Only certain periods? Have heard to turn them off during feeding.

If yes, off to feeding, how long should they stay off?

Thx in advance

24/7. I do shut my main (return) pump down during some feedings. During that time, I also shut down my skimmer pumps. The skimmer pump turns on again 5 minutes after the return pump resumes and sump levels have returned to normal.

I keep mine on all the time... the only thing i turn off during feeding is my powerheads....

Not to hijack the thread, but why do you turn off the powerheads? I would think the fish would like to chase their food around. I just turn off my return and skimmer for 10 minutes or so. Edited by Djplus1

depends on who and what you are feeding. when I feed oyster eggs I turn off my powerheads and only let the return push water and food around to those slow filter feeding corals and LPS! I keep my skimmer on at all times, but for normal feeding I don't turn anything off. when I feed LPS at night I shut down the power heads only.

Not to hijack the thread, but why do you turn off the powerheads? I would think the fish would like to chase their food around. I just turn off my return and skimmer for 10 minutes or so.

When its just pellets I dont turn off the powerheads.. .but the 2 days a week I feed frozen (which I am also target feeding my LPS) I do turn them off...just to make it easier for me to target feed....