Alan's Rimless 75 build

AlanM

You wanna do the tests n my tank... I only do them once every other month...if that much,lol

Though I will be good, not as good as you but, do tests on the new tank when I get it all set up, till I know it's cycled...

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was nice to meet you today, Alan. I gotta check out the tank some time. I also had the chance to see swimmatte, and flooddc's tanks today. It's fun seeing different tanks. I just bored of mine. A few years ago, there really weren't that many members in this area, but I'm glad to see we're expanding.

I'm picking up some fish from QR today!  No more waiting.  The tank is ugly with algae on rocks and sand, but not horrible and the water quality is good.  I've been sneaking some little bits of life into there for a while.  Those black nassarius snails from Richard love the nori I rubberbanded to the little piece of rubble. 

I stink at taking pictures in the tank.  Can't get the focus right, but this one I was able to white-balance the blue out.  Here are the little zoas I've gotten from a few people.  Everything closed up a couple of days ago for no good reason (or possibly because I decided to drip some LaCl3 into the sump that Mike had given me to try), but it seems to be back after a water change.

P1020302_zps170c40b1.jpg

I turned off the powerheads at night and watched the xenia do this (it's a video).  The y don't do it when the powerheads are on.

th_VIDEO0048_zpsaeec334f.jpg

A royal gramma, a randalls goby, and a tiny little striped pistol shrimp.  Plus 10 ceriths, 10 red leg hermits, 5 trochus.

I acclimated for about a half hour with a stream of tank water until they got up to my tank salinity. 

I feel silly asking this, but I dropped the pistol shrimp into the tank and he ended up on the top of my rock mountain.  He's hanging out in a crevice at the moment up at the top getting buffeted by the powerheads.  I guess it's a waiting game for him and the randalls to pair up.  Does it usually work out or does it take some encouragement for the shrimp to find the sand and the goby?  I figured the goby would immediately head into one of the caves, but he's hanging out on the sandbed.

in the future also check the PH in the store (or member) water and drip acclimate until it matches yours not just your salinity....

how are they all looking? wouldn't bother to feed them for a while...its going to take them a big to explore their digs....

My pistol went right for the sandbed and started digging but that's where I released him from a cup. The goby sat on the bed overnight and teamed up a day later with the pistol. I'm sure they will work themselves out on a day or two.

Ben

Too late, I dropped a few pellets in there and the gramma and goby both ate them.  The gramma ate, then spit, then ate, then spit, then ate, and chewed it up.  Goby did the same thing.  Seems like they swelled after a while, so took a bit to get soft enough to eat.  I also bought some frozen mysis to give to them which Vince told me how to use (thaw in seawater, strain the shrimp out, and toss the shrimp in without the liquid).

They seem to be doing fine, and they're just hanging out in one spot.  The lights just went out, so maybe they will do some exploring overnight when the powerheads are down on low and the lights are out.  Maybe Mr Shrimp will find his way down the rocks to the sand too.  I should have put him there, but I had two kids underfoot watching every move and getting dripped on and complaining about it.  He's so tiny I may never find him again, heh.  It took Vince 10 minutes to find him in their little tanks.

The 10 new red legged hermits seem to be some kind of a fraternity because they're moving as a mass across the rocks even though I dropped them all in a big patch of algae on the sand in the back of the tank.  They look way bigger in my tank than they did in the store, heh.  They're going to be keeping my snails on their toes, and I already saw one eyeing a cerith's shell.

QR has different systems with different salinities.  The goby came from the invert system which is run at normal salinity, the gramma came from the fish system which is run at like 1.014.  I dumped all of the invert stuff into a bucket and acclimated it all together to my water chemistry.  I think that pissed off the pistol shrimp because I heard him snapping all over at the curious hermits.  The goby kept to himself in that scenario.

The gramma got his own little acclimation bucket and went from 1014 to 1025 over the course of about 45 minutes.  Hope he does ok.  Instead of netting him again I dumped out all but a little water, then kind of put it in there sideways and encouraged him to swim out and lifted it and tossed the water.  Shouldn't have gotten much water in my system.

I have to say, the QR experience was a good one.  I wanted to get a couple more fish and was considering some of their little banggai cardinals which were only about an inch at the fin tips, but Vince told me to hold off and buy them later since these were the first fish in.  I don't know why, but I like when fish store owners tell me not to buy stuff.  Dimitri at Aquarium One did the same thing the other day when I was in there.

Btw did you release at night? I usually acclimate new inhabitants in the dark for a less stressful transition. I would guess the turbulent current and lights / new surroundings have him spooked.

Btw did you release at night? I usually acclimate new inhabitants in the dark for a less stressful transition. I would guess the turbulent current and lights / new surroundings have him spooked.

Haha, bet you're on a mobile with the multiple posts. 

Answer is nope.  Lights were still on for about 30 minutes, but they're off now.

Also, I'm seriously thinking about never turning these tunze's up above 30% and sticking with soft corals and sea grasses so I could put in one of those extra cute dime sized cowfish they had there even though my tank isn't big enough to keep a fish that can get 1 foot long eventually. 

Lol Sry yeah stupid phone. Careful with the cow fish. Cute and awesome... If you ignore the potential deathly toxins they can release upon death ha.

(edit... Apparently this is a myth and or completely untrue, sorry for the misinformation I had always held off on cow fish because of the poison thing but lots of people on the other big board say not to worry)

Edited by bengeeee

Just found a thread on another forum that says this rarely happens and or is a myth. I stand corrected!

Orly?  I'd always heard that cowfish are potentially toxic and sometimes release it under extreme stress or death.

I don't believe WAMAS has any restrictions on links at all.  I haven't heard of any at least.  And you're a paying member, so link away. 

Thanks.  I hadn't seen that the whole toxic thing might actually be a big myth.

So the gramma survived the night.  He slept behind a rock but came back out when the lights came on.  I have no idea where the randalls goby or pistol shrimp are.  Hope I see them again ever.

I'm keeping the powerheads lower than I had them when it was just snails and crabs in there.  Maybe that will encourage more exploration.