Biopellets = great success!!

tpallas

About 8 months into my 11.4g reef, and a month or so after I moved, I got an outbreak of bryopsis. I tried the magnesium method, which worked but when I lowered it back to regular levels the bryopsis returned. Then I tried Algae-X, and it caused the tank to crash. For 3 or 4 months there was nasty, thick algae growing everywhere of all colors. I know that bryopsis competes very well, but I also knew that the phosphates had to be coming from somewhere (maybe the BRS Eco Saver rock). It wasn't testing high so I think the algae was consuming it and the readings (Hanna) were misleading.

So I ditched my refugium and put in a CPR nano reactor with biopellets. I also added Microbacter 7 to introduce more bacteria. It took 6 or 7 weeks to settle in, but the thicker algae died away, and now the bryopsis is dying off. Great success! My SPS have started growing again for the first time in 6 months, and I haven't had to clean the walls in 10 days now. Just need to keep up with the feeding, but it has definitely worked for me.

I used about a third of the recommended dose to start. A quarter to a third is about the going recommendation to not strip the tank too fast.

I'm not sure if you can use a phosban reactor, there may be some mods required.

You just need some plastic mesh to use a phosban reactor. They actually sell it as a kit but you can just go to Michaels or Jo-Anns, go to the knitting section and find some of the plastic mesh they have there (costs about 99 cents). Pull the foam out of the reactor and cut two plastic circles out of the knitting mesh the same size and replace the foam with them.

Which biopellets do you use? Do you just add pellets to the reactor as they melt away or are you supposed to replace them all every so often?

I have mostly BRS biopellets in my reactor and still have a bryopsis issue, also have some warner ecobak pellets in there also. If there is a different brand that works better I'd sure like to know because I haven't seen much difference in my tank since starting biopellets unless I just don't know what to look for or what to expect, maybe I expected too much. I still have to regularly clean my glass on an almost daily basis.

Which biopellets do you use? Do you just add pellets to the reactor as they melt away or are you supposed to replace them all every so often?

I have mostly BRS biopellets in my reactor and still have a bryopsis issue, also have some warner ecobak pellets in there also. If there is a different brand that works better I'd sure like to know because I haven't seen much difference in my tank since starting biopellets unless I just don't know what to look for or what to expect, maybe I expected too much. I still have to regularly clean my glass on an almost daily basis.

Vertex pellets work better...for me. No scientific proof, just my observation. I started with the ones from Avast and did not notice much. Then I switiched and things seemed to go better for me. Maybe you need to add more pellets. Small increments tho

Alot of people have posted that elevating Mg to 1500-1600 works well against bryopsis, which is my experience. I've had it at that level for two years with no ill effects on corals or fish. I think I go that way rather than take a chance with biopellets.

My problem with bio-pellets is that if water flow stops within a day or two you have a really toxic soup in the reactor: the pellets are great food for bacteria. I nearly lost my entire tank when I left my reactor off for two days and started it up without thinking. In my opinion bio pellets are a disaster waiting to happen, even though they apparently do alot of good for some systems.

Vertex pellets work better...for me. No scientific proof, just my observation. I started with the ones from Avast and did not notice much. Then I switiched and things seemed to go better for me. Maybe you need to add more pellets. Small increments tho

Will check on the vertex pellets, I'm pretty much running the recommended dosage of one cup per 50 gallons for the pellets so I have somewhere around 5 cups in there although it is a little low right now. I dose 2 capfuls of MB7 into the sump twice a week.

Edited by Big Country