Wet Saw / Band Saw Recommendations?

Curtis Scott

*Update - Title should be 'Wet Saw/Band Saw Recommendations?'

What is a good affordable one that I could use to frag acans? Where is the best place to order it? Thanks

Edited by Origami

I have a cheap $88 dollar one from Home Depot. I think it's Workmate brand or something (in-house brand). It's a table saw style where the blade is below the work. I can let you borrow it if you want to try it out and see if it is adequate for your needs. I tiled my kitchen floor with it and it has held up nicely for being so cheap. Plus I would think coral skeleton and porous rock would be easier to cut than dense ceramic tile.

This isn't the actual saw I have, but mine is laid out like this one: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100665659/5yc1v?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=wet+saw&storeId=10051&N=25ecodZ5yc1v&R=100665659#.UN3qLG_AfuM

Any tile saw will work fine. It's preferred to use a wet one to reduce heat which can kill the frags. The challenge is finding one that won't fail early due to the salt water.

Wonder if an "El Cheapo" from Harbor Freight would do, b/c eventually any saw will rust do to the salt water. Dremels with diamond bits work well for acans also, b/c you can work around heads.

Wet tile saw can only make thick straight cuts. Don't recommend for corals. Great for cutting up rock.

Wet band tile saw is great for corals. Inland or the Gryphon both would work. I have the Gryphon and I love it. I got mine from Premium Aquatics.

Thanks everyone!

I didn't want to spend $200-300 on a band saw so I decided to go with this one http://www.amazon.co...eywords=wet saw for now. From what I've read up, this should work just fine. If I need to make more precise cuts I'll have to invest in a better one (Gryphon).

Edited by Curtis Scott

Wet tile saw can only make thick straight cuts. Don't recommend for corals. Great for cutting up rock.

Wet band tile saw is great for corals. Inland or the Gryphon both would work. I have the Gryphon and I love it. I got mine from Premium Aquatics.

Thanks, I did get a wet tile saw for now. Hopefully that will work. If that doesn't, no worries, I needed one for some home improvement projects anyway. I'll be saving up for the Gryphon in the mean-while.

Watch out with the wet tile saws. The blade is so thick it rips more than it cuts the flesh on acans and other LPS. You will notice after you cut that the heads around where you cut will die off because the flesh is ripped from the Skelton.

I can help you frag up that acan you have with my gryphon. However every time I help someone frag their corals a frag always falls in my tank and I can't get it out ;)

Watch out with the wet tile saws. The blade is so thick it rips more than it cuts the flesh on acans and other LPS. You will notice after you cut that the heads around where you cut will die off because the flesh is ripped from the Skelton.

I can help you frag up that acan you have with my gryphon. However every time I help someone frag their corals a frag always falls in my tank and I can't get it out ;)

I plan on trying things out on a few standard acans to get a feel for how they will heal. I'm a little worried now based off what you said.

Thanks for the offer to help frag stuff, if this doesn't work out I'll definitely take you up on that.

You can buy really thin blades for tile saws. They're used by rock collectors and are a much thinner than the stock blades that come with most tile saws. When I got my tile saw (which I rarely use), I bought replacement blades off EBay for a few bucks. There's a lot less damage and, because they're so thin, much less heat generated during the cut.

I have been using the same tile saw for years now and it still runs great. I use freshwater with it and it doesn't seem to hurt the corals. It's not like the coral is submerged in freshwater, it is just a spraying of it which doesn't hurt the corals. I have not noticed the torn flesh before when I use the tile saw.