Securing MP40 dry side

Sharkey18

I am using 3 MP40's on my new tank and CAN NOT keep the dry sides from falling off using the pathetic attachments that are supplied.

Anyone using something that works much better?

It's 1/4 inch glass.

The pin spacer is set correctly. I think it was the black Vinyl (?) backing. The adhesive mounts did not stick to it well. Once they fell off, the cord brought the whole thing down.

The good news is that when they fell off, they severely ripped the black vinyl so I just tore it all off today. But of course, the adhesive mounts are now useless.... :angry:

I think I'm going to crazy glue them to the glass....

1/4" glass? that's it? mine is 1/2" and they stick fine. either the spacing isn't correct, or something else is wrong. at 1/4" they should hold very well.

Your tank is at least 1/2 if not 5/8". 10 gallon tanks are 1/4".

My new tank is 3/4" and I'm running them w/o the pin spacers.

Edited by epleeds

The wet side impeller nut is to tight, only finger tight and the white spacer should be flush with the base. Run your finger nail over it, should be smooth.

I tend to go one notch higher on the pin spacer than the actual glass thickness. They stay on better that way and I have not seen any bad effects. The little self adhesive pads are pitiful. Superglue or epoxy may be the best answer.

Your tank is probably 3/4" and if so, the pin spacer needs to be removed entirely to prevent the dry side from detaching.

The little sticky things only work good if the surface that they stick to is completely free of salt.

Ah ha! Of course you are all correct. The tank is 1/2 inch thick glass.

Now I feel like an idiot, but LOVE the fact that you can identify my mistake in an instant.

PIn spacer adjustment to commence immediately.

In addition to making sure that the glass is clean/salt free, I think it is better to allow the adhesive on the adhesive mount to dry a full 24h before securing the power cord to it. I suspect that the bulk of your problem was the space [thank God your tank is not 1/4"!!!]

Your tank is probably 3/4" and if so, the pin spacer needs to be removed entirely to prevent the dry side from detaching.

The little sticky things only work good if the surface that they stick to is completely free of salt.

Yeah, I can't imagine using 3 Vortechs in a tank made of thin, 1/4 inch glass. Try setting your pin spacer down more. I look at their setting as guidance, not absolutes. Like Bill said, set it for glass at least one setting thicker.