plumbing straight into a sink drain?

MBVette

This afternoon I was looking around the tank and starting thinking about water changes. On the old tank I had to siphon the water out into jugs and then move it to a sink to dump it all out; and that was the plan for this tank as well b/c I dont have a much better option.

Then I got to thinking that maybe I could run a line off my manifold and have that hose run straight into a nearby sink or better yet drain into the sinks plumbing. Im sure I can run the hose to the sink w/o any real problem, just need to secure the line and drill a small hole. But is it possible for me to tap into the sinks drain and just use that instead of running it onto the counter and then into the sink?

what are you guys using to tap into the plumbing? I assume I would tap it above the trap? And how would I make sure the water draining from the sink did not move towards the tank.

Is the plumbing pvc? If so, why not redo the plumbing to add a drain line?

Yes, that's exactly what I would use.

If needed, you can extend the downstream side of the trap by the same distance as what is added with the tee.

I prefer an airgap just to keep the two systems separate and sanitary. Thus, I'll run a hose into the top of the sink from the manifold.

I prefer an airgap just to keep the two systems separate and sanitary. Thus, I'll run a hose into the top of the sink from the manifold.

The more I think about it this is probably the way to go for me. It is a commercial building and I don't know that I want to deal with th health department if I make a mistake and they catch what I did. So I think I might just attach it to the top of the sink.

The more I think about it this is probably the way to go for me. It is a commercial building and I don't know that I want to deal with th health department if I make a mistake and they catch what I did. So I think I might just attach it to the top of the sink.

better be doing things up to code in that commercial building- after 1 fire, the insurance company may send an inspector to evaluate your install.