I <3 my Tusk

Incredible Corals

A few days ago I finally got an Aussi Harlequin Tusk. I got the biggest one I could find at about 7" since I have a yellow tang that is a bully. Let me start off by saying this fish is incredible both in the vibrant colors, distinctive personality and the way it glides around the tank. When I first got him I started feeding Mysis shrimp and he pigged out. Then I went to the local Asian market and bought a clam which I broke open and tossed in the tank. He tore the thing apart with his teeth.

Tonight I decided to feed one of the XL cocktail shrimps that I also picked up at the store. I hung it from the acrylic rod that I usually wrap nori around for the tangs with a rubber band. As all the fish were slowing picking at the shrimp the tusk just waited at the bottom. About 5 minutes went by and all the fish moved from the shrimp for a split second and the tusk swam like a bullet up the the top of the tank and ripped the shrimp out of the shell and only left the tail. This isn't a tiny little shrimp either. The meaty party was at least the size of my thumb. The tusk then immediately swallowed half of it while the rest was protruding out of his mouth. The other fish quickly took notice and tried picking pieces out of his mouth to get their share. Then the tusk starting smashing it on the rock and sand while it slowly swallowed at least 2" of whole cocktail shrimp until it was all gone.

I tried to get a pic of him in action with half the shrimp hanging out of his mouth but he was too quick and I was a little in shock. He did slow down enough for me to take a pic while he was showing off how big his mouth is. I wish I could have recorded a video to share but hopefully my story paints a decent image in your head.

Tusk showing off his big mouth and teeth!

photo-2.jpg

Here's a pic of him yesterday hanging out by his favorite lobo.

IMG_8319.jpg

That is how mines was before the move. I might have to get rid of him. He is not adjusting well to the new tank and maybe a new scenery will be better for him. His tankmates are aggressive and it is not helping with the transition. I thought it would get better over time. He doesn't get a chance to eat because they eat all the food in the matter of seconds. I tried fighting them off with the stick but they fight back.

Edited by collegeman

That is how mines was before the move. I might have to get rid of him. He is not adjusting well to the new tank and maybe a new scenery will be better for him. His tankmates are aggressive and it is not helping with the transition. I thought it would get better over time. He doesn't get a chance to eat because they eat all the food in the matter of seconds. I tried fighting them off with the stick but they fight back.

What tankmates is he with?

say goodbye to all of your snails and crabs....

Not true at all. It can and may eat some, but mine rarely ever will, and only really small ones. Just like most other fish, if kept well fed they tend to do less of those kinda things. Shrimp are another story.

say goodbye to all of your snails and crabs....

I don't have any crabs besides some that hitchhiked on rocks and stuff. I also don't add snails to the tank unless they hitchhike. I think they are overrated and he can eat whatever he finds.

Nice looking fish. That's on my list of fish to add to my tank.

DO IT!

What tankmates is he with?

He's with a few other tangs, bangii, clowns, royal gramma, chromis and a few wrasses.

Not true at all. It can and may eat some, but mine rarely ever will, and only really small ones. Just like most other fish, if kept well fed they tend to do less of those kinda things. Shrimp are another story.

I'm kinda hoping he goes after nails to keep his teeth filed down. I read you are supposed to feed them shelled food so the teeth don't grown too long and into the top part of the mouth.

He's with a few other tangs, bangii, clowns, royal gramma, chromis and a few wrasses.

Not yours! tongue.gif I was wondering about Collegeman's since his is getting bullied and it seems like yours is quite capable. Your vlamingi looks like the big boss of your tank though lol. Loved the video and how he made the tusk move over.

Is yours an Austrailian or Indonesian? I just noticed the color difference on DD. Is everyone's on here Austrailian?

Not yours! tongue.gif I was wondering about Collegeman's since his is getting bullied and it seems like yours is quite capable. Your vlamingi looks like the big boss of your tank though lol. Loved the video and how he made the tusk move over.

Is yours an Austrailian or Indonesian? I just noticed the color difference on DD. Is everyone's on here Austrailian?

Mine is an Aussi tusk. The Vlamingi is the boss for sure in the tank but do not go after other fish. They just know to stay out of his way.

I have an Australian. He is a bully, pushing away tangs and emperor to get his food. I do have snails and a few hermit in the tank as well. Never seen him attack any, but I wouldn't put it past him.

Good News!!! I decided to purchase the clear acrylic rod to target feed the tusk and he took the food with no problem. He is eating everything off of the rod but is still a little scared of the other fish. I am so happy. This is my favorite fish and it was killing me that he wasn't eating.

Good News!!! I decided to purchase the clear acrylic rod to target feed the tusk and he took the food with no problem. He is eating everything off of the rod but is still a little scared of the other fish. I am so happy. This is my favorite fish and it was killing me that he wasn't eating.

Congrats!! Great news!!