Screen Top Question

Ryan S

I want to build a screen top for my tank. The dimensions are 36" x 36".

I've added the following components to my BRS shopping cart. Before I place the order, am I missing anything, or would any of the components be cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot? And clear vs black mesh, is there a difference? Lastly, does anyone have any of the components laying around that you'd sell cheaper?

4x 3 FT. WINDOW FRAME SECTION $21.56

4x WINDOW CORNER FOR DIY AQUARIUM SCREEN TOPS $5.68

1x SPLINE ROLLER FOR DIY AQUARIUM SCREEN TOPS $5.69

1x SPLINE FOR DIY AQUARIUM SCREEN TOPS $5.49

1x CLEAR 1/4

I would just get the clear mesh from BRS....but everything else is at hd or lowes and i think it is cheaper.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I want to build a screen top for my tank. The dimensions are 36" x 36".

I've added the following components to my BRS shopping cart. Before I place the order, am I missing anything, or would any of the components be cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot? And clear vs black mesh, is there a difference? Lastly, does anyone have any of the components laying around that you'd sell cheaper?

I finally built the screen tops for my tanks in the last couple of weeks. I have leftover BRS clear mesh that I can probably let go, although I'm not sure if I have a single piece the size you need. I'll try and check that later this evening. I'd concur with the previous posters that you do not want to use black mesh, and that most of the rest of it you can get at Home Depot/Lowes.

Do they have the white screen also? Im going to need to do this at some point also

No, just 1/2" black. But it was $8 versus $28 shipped for the clear mesh from BRS. So I will give this a try first, if it sucks and I can't find someone local with extra clear that would fit, I'll get it from BRS.

• 2 weeks later...

Ryan, I am going to be getting the stuff to build my screen tops in the next week or so. Can you do custom lengths of the screening pieces or do you have to do it in specific increments? Basically Im asking if you can cut the edging to make it fit however you want?

You can cut it. You just need a hacksaw. I have a cheapo hand saw. Forgot if I got it from home depot or walmart, but it was only like $7. I also use it to cut pvc. But you can get the pieces in various sizes at home depot; like 24", 36", 48", etc. Then cut it to the exact length you need. Make sure you subtract the corner pieces you'll be inserting. They added 1/2" length on each end for me, so i took the total length of the inside lip of the tank, subtracted 1", then cut the piece to be that length.

any idea how I can do the corners? Here is a crappy pic but you think there is anyway I can get it to sit inside the lip here w/ the corners rounded the way they are?

scape3.jpg

I would HIGHLY advise you guys to by bird netting from Home Depot ($10) and the window screen frame from Home Depot (4ftx4ft = $15). Hack saw is about $6. MUCH cheaper at Home Depot. Roller is about $5. The spleen comes with the screen frame. You will have tons of black mesh left. I have some if you need, but I'm in DC. Nit sure if it worth the drive.

I would HIGHLY advise you guys to by bird netting from Home Depot ($10) and the window screen frame from Home Depot (4ftx4ft = $15). Hack saw is about $6. MUCH cheaper at Home Depot. Roller is about $5. The spleen comes with the screen frame. You will have tons of black mesh left. I have some if you need, but I'm in DC. Nit sure if it worth the drive.

would you happen to have a picture of your setup?

any idea how I can do the corners? Here is a crappy pic but you think there is anyway I can get it to sit inside the lip here w/ the corners rounded the way they are?

scape3.jpg

Well, I have a standard tank with the normal trim that has the groove around the top, the screen fits in there perfectly. For your tank... You have a couple options. Adam can make a custom top for acrylic tanks like yours that will look the best. It will cost more though. But he can make an acrylic border with the mesh in the middle, custom fit for your tank. It would simply rest right on top. If you want the cheaper DIY route, they do have the screen in different colors. I saw white for example. Or you could always spray paint it anything. But you might consider making a white frame (white frame + clear mesh might look the best for your tank?) and measuring it to just rest on top of your tank. It should move or anything and be fine resting on top.

+1. My total cost from Home Depot minus the mesh screen was $20.00.

I would just get the clear mesh from BRS....but everything else is at hd or lowes and i think it is cheaper.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Well, I have a standard tank with the normal trim that has the groove around the top, the screen fits in there perfectly. For your tank... You have a couple options. Adam can make a custom top for acrylic tanks like yours that will look the best. It will cost more though. But he can make an acrylic border with the mesh in the middle, custom fit for your tank. It would simply rest right on top. If you want the cheaper DIY route, they do have the screen in different colors. I saw white for example. Or you could always spray paint it anything. But you might consider making a white frame (white frame + clear mesh might look the best for your tank?) and measuring it to just rest on top of your tank. It should move or anything and be fine resting on top.

I was going to try to make it out of the white material. At this point I cant go back to the insurance company for more on the tank, so everything is out of pocket now. Im sure I can make it work, but b/c of the rounded corners there might be a game between the edge of the screen and the opening on the tank. Guess I will have to try and see how it goes.

(edited)

I was going to try to make it out of the white material. At this point I cant go back to the insurance company for more on the tank, so everything is out of pocket now. Im sure I can make it work, but b/c of the rounded corners there might be a game between the edge of the screen and the opening on the tank. Guess I will have to try and see how it goes.

You could try to sand the corner pieces of the frame so they are more rounded. That might work. They are cheap if it doesn't.

Edited by Ryan S

• 2 months later...

I am getting ready to build net tops for my new build and my exsisting setup....can you get the clear 1/4" netting locally or do you have to go to

BRS?

one poster above mentioned "bird-netting." What did they mean by that? Black mesh screen? Or something else?

it's 1/2" black mesh called "bird netting" - it's outside at home depot in the garden section. it comes wrapped in a big roll.

I got my netting from BRS and the rest of the parts at home depot.

I made my tops in two parts - a large part for the back of the tank and then a 3-4 inch section at the front for a feeding port so you don't have to move the whole thing just to drop some food in the tank.

Project done ! I went to Lowes and got everything, just finished putting it all together, Thanks everyone!