New Ecotech Radions - 2013

Ryan S

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/14/radion-xr30w-pro/

EcoTech Marine is pleased to announce the latest addition to the Radion line of aquarium LED lighting systems: the XR30w Pro.

Expanding on the technology found in the standard Radion XR30w model, the Radion XR30w Pro represents the cutting edge in LED technology, power, spectrum and spread. Utilizing EcoTech

That sucks for people who bought the first gen. Guess your lights are outdated now.

Tisk Tisk.

1. They aren't coming for another 4+ months.

2. First gen folks can just pay $200 and get the new ones. Modular is good.

3. Con: They are $950 each. That's nuts. I wanted 6 over my future 300g DD. After I spend $400 to upgrade my current 2 units; I'll need to shell out another 4*950=$3800 for the rest of the units. MH/T5 are looking better by the minute. Even when you factor in a brand new chiller and annual bulbs costs, that's a fraction of 6 radions over a tank (6*950=$5700).

That sucks for people who bought the first gen. Guess your lights are outdated now.

it actually makes it better with the price bump up..O.O...if the prices were lower than i could see your point

and if ur a gadget crazy and decide to upgrade for no real reason...then u can with the upgrade path they will be offering

historically ive never seen any ecotech product turn out to be a "bad" choice. Their customer service is exceptional...i just sent in a mp40wes that was past warranty and they fixed it free cause of some known issue...they could have easily made me buy a new one.

Regardless of LED/MH/T5 I have to give it to Ecotech. Demand drives price and if they can get that much for each unit thumbs up to them.

Ok, so to be up to date AGAIN, you have to spend and another $200 per unit, after you just bought new lenses, whats next.? Gonna be 1500 per light total when theyre done with you.

PM inc.

Its funny that people buy LEDs so they dont have yearly bulb replacement costs, instead you have to pay for yearly updates. Ha.

That's why I do DIY because i know I wont have updates yearly, do it 'right' the first time...

If the current Radions are growing coral just fine and people like them, what's the point of upgrading? People didn't change MH ballasts every year. I imagine the people that will upgrade/buy new are the same people that lease a new car every year.

That's why I do DIY because i know I wont have updates yearly, do it 'right' the first time...

true, but, you just have blue and white don't you?

their "upgrade" includes new colors, (ie UV), as well as the newest LEDs on the market that are more powerful, so even DIY would have upgrades for new colors / higher watt LEDs, etc.

Huh.

...save for the Osram reds that Ecotech uses as PAR-boosters...

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/14/radion-xr30w-pro/#ixzz26kMDCIr

In 15' of water, the red spectrum is completely gone... Assuming this follows a decay pattern (which I'm pretty sure is roughly correct anyway), that means that ~50% of the PAR "boost" is gone by the time an average tank depth is reached... Interesting.

true, but, you just have blue and white don't you?

their "upgrade" includes new colors, (ie UV), as well as the newest LEDs on the market that are more powerful, so even DIY would have upgrades for new colors / higher watt LEDs, etc.

I actually have 3 different spectrums of blue, 445nm, 450nm, 455nm. and 2 whites, 10,000k and 20,000k. I do can easily add UV/Red/Green in my fixture in the future.

but doesnt the original Radions have those UV/red/green already?

I actually have 3 different spectrums of blue, 445nm, 450nm, 455nm. and 2 whites, 10,000k and 20,000k. I do can easily add UV/Red/Green in my fixture in the future.

but doesnt the original Radions have those UV/red/green already?

they have red and green now, UV will be brand new. i think they are going from 3w to 5w LEDs as well, so there is a power upgrade too.

I am sure in 2014, they will add another color (who knows what); and change the LEDs from 5w to 7w or something. They will always be changing. So I don't think it's as easy as "doing it right the first time" you know?

they have red and green now, UV will be brand new. i think they are going from 3w to 5w LEDs as well, so there is a power upgrade too.

I am sure in 2014, they will add another color (who knows what); and change the LEDs from 5w to 7w or something. They will always be changing. So I don't think it's as easy as "doing it right the first time" you know?

that's a good point. cant really plan of the "perfect" fixture if new things keep coming out.

With that said, I think the Radion Pro has officially entered the high-end consumer market. Kind of like Bubble King Skimmers, you know? I, personally, am not in the high-end market. I can't afford $950 for 1 radion.

How many people are actually running a Radion at 100%. This is the only group that may benefit from the upgrade. From what I have read, people are satisfied with about 50-70% intensity. We keep ours at 55% currently.

How many people are actually running a Radion at 100%. This is the only group that may benefit from the upgrade. From what I have read, people are satisfied with about 50-70% intensity. We keep ours at 55% currently.

agreed, now with TIR i am doing 70-80% and i am thinking of scaling that back some more.

i see no reason to upgrade atm.

If the current Radions are growing coral just fine and people like them, what's the point of upgrading? People didn't change MH ballasts every year. I imagine the people that will upgrade/buy new are the same people that lease a new car every year.

Very good point. Especially when, as others have said, the majority of the people running them are not using the current fixtures at 100%.