RO/DI Water Production Problem?

Spelter

I've just got my RO/DI unit running. I've never had one before and its produced about 5 gallons of waste water and has not even filled up up the DI resin cartridge. So i shut it off. Is this normal in the beginning? I purchased it used from another member and it had not been used in a few years, is it possible there is a problem with the membrane? Its an AWI typhoon III, just replaced all the filters, added pressure gauge (possibly in wrong location, where does this go?) and TDS meter.

Are you getting any RO/DI water at all out of it? If not, and you're getting only waste water, it sounds like RO membrane may have dried out. If this happened, then you'll have to replace the membrane. They cannot be rehydrated at home.

Also, check to make sure that the membrane is properly and fully seated in the housing. If it's not, water may be bypassing and exiting the waste water side.

Are you getting any RO/DI water at all out of it? If not, and you're getting only waste water, it sounds like RO membrane may have dried out. If this happened, then you'll have to replace the membrane. They cannot be rehydrated at home.

Also, check to make sure that the membrane is properly and fully seated in the housing. If it's not, water may be bypassing and exiting the waste water side.

I have gotten some water. The Di resin is soaking it all up, non has accumulated in the cartridge and none has gone into my product water reservoir. So not very much. I will check to make sure the membrane is seated properly when I get home.

Steve and I are about the same... i get 4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of RODI....also the first few hours of mine I ran the bypass for the DI and had an hours worth of waste and then turned the bypass off and ran for another hour and threw all that out...as its TDS was still 23 after that all I was getting was Zeros...

The water level will be low in the DI Resin cartridge, it will not fill it up like the other cartridges

From post #4, it sounded like he wasn't getting anything out - not just air in the DI stage.

Spelter, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Did you try running the unit before changing the filters out and adding the new components? If so, was there any production at all? If there was, the RO membrane is not dried out and there is probably an error in how it's been re-configured. Can you take pictures of the unit from several angles so we can see how it's wired now?

Yes, I will take pictures of the unit tonight and post them.

I ran the unit last night for 3 hrs and got less than 500mL of product water. I got about 12 gallons of waste water.

Right now water comes in from my supply line, goes through a pressure gauge (reads zero) and into the unit. ( I have extremely high water pressure other places in the house, we have a restriction value installed coming off the main)

Flow goes into sediment filter, then 5um carbon, then 1um carbon, then into tds In meter then into RO membrane. (I watched the ordered they filled up the first time)

Now water trickles (< 1mL a minute) into the last DI resin cartridge, the entire resin is now wet, and there is only about 0.5" of water in the cartridge. Very little comes out of product line, TDS Out says zero (the line is not full though)

p.s. I flooded my basement for the first time, forgot I was measuring waste water output and it overflowed the container alot. Bummer

Are you sure the pressure gauge is set up in the right direction and is on the incoming line? It shouldn't read zero.

Have you checked all the valves to make sure the ones that are on should be on and the ones that are off should be off? You could have the valves switched so that you're running a fast flush or a DI bypass or something and therefore no product water is being produced.

When you say you replaced all membranes, does that include the RO membrane?

Looking for pictures from a lot of angles and a few close ups, too. That should help us understand if it's connected up wrong.