Bubble algae explosion

yagerboy

I have an out of control bubble algae issue that I am trying to get under control in my 90g.

I bought a few Emerald crabs and either I need 10x's the number I bought, or they just aren't eating it.

I initially didn't react because I've never had an issue before, but now it is getting ridiculous. When I try

to rmove clumps, many burst which increases the problem.

Any suggestions?????Thanks

I have the same problem....any help would be great!

....on the other hand, I say we take it out and bring it to Josh's tanks !!!biggrin.gif

The only way to get rid of it is to scrub it all off with a brush until it's gone. Repeat as needed.

If you do this, it gives the mithrax and other herbivores a chance to keep it at manageable levels.

Any suggestions?????Thanks

If it were my tank, I would add 4-5 emerald crabs, add a foxface, and manually remove any large clumps you can get to.

You have to get to the point where the fish and crabs are eating it faster than it's growing. Manual removal helps with that.

I don't worry about popping valonia. That happens anyway when fish or crabs eat it.

Man Steve don't be bringing any reef STD's my way. I run a clean house!!

I get the same with my lazy butt crabs. They never really get it all.

I had it and it went away. I picked as much out as I could without bursting the bubble! I also added a 5 emerald crabs to my 29G. They eat it before it gets big. It rarely comes back and is not a problem. Once it died back it seemed like a one or two of the emeralds died off.

Manual removal worked for me. Once I got it under control it went away on it's own.

If it were my tank, I would add 4-5 emerald crabs, add a foxface, and manually remove any large clumps you can get to.

I would do this as well.

FYI: Reefcleaners guarantees their emeralds eat bubble algae. liveaquaria says theirs will too.

I did a mixture of all of the above. I think if you put a HUGE dent in it by manual removal the emaeralds can keep it in check.

Another thought is to make sure your clean up crew is adequate. I think adding hermits and or emeralds to scavenge uneaten food in the rocks, particularly pellets, helps keep nutrients down...therfore less BA.

A good way to remove it without popping is to use a siphon tube draining into a bucket (during a water change for instance), then use the edge of the tube to scrape at the base of the bubbles, so that they come loose as a clump and get sucked into the tube.

Even if they pop, the contents will get sucked into the tube and out of your tank.

Bucket water never goes back into the tank. Have fresh mixed water ready.

I just got through one also. Mine was red bubble and it was everywhere, including quite a bit in the sump.

Manual removal is key. As others have said once I removed as much as I could by hand, the rest that I couldn't get to

went away. I would say if you can get to about 5% or less of what you have now it will go away on its own or with help from some emeralds.

Obviously also consider nutrient management.

Mine took several months to get rid of and I still have a few bubbles but they are confined in the sump. Easy to get to.

Good luck!

In my experience, the best way to deal with it is to manually remove as many as you possibly can without popping them. Then go through with a toothbrush, or even better a wire brush, and scrub the H-E-double hockey sticks out of all the ones that are left and all the spots where you manually removed them. At the same time, crank your skimmer up and put a filter sock in if you can. A lot of the spores will be removed by the skimmer and the "cases" will be picked up by the filter sock.

Then throw in at least 7-10 emeralds for your size tank and they will take care of all the small bubbles that will grow back. IMO emeralds should be, and are, more of a preventative measure than they are a cure. Unless you get tons, they won't be able to compete with an already infested tank, but they can prevent more bubble algae from growing. A foxface may help as well, but not always.