How to tell when it's time to downsize...

I have recently realized that its probly time to take the 210 down. I love taking care of a big tank but money is not being put into the right things. The house is falling apart, the ac needs to be completly replaced, and lots more. I have finally got the 210 to the point where I am fairly happy with it, but after starting a cycle on a new smaller tank, I think it's time to start over on something smaller. I am finally figuring out what I want and have come to realize this is a major step in getting it. I can't imagine where or how I am going to start but it's got to happen, I learned a lot but I am going nuts... By no means is this a "keep me from selling off the tank" thread! I just had to get this off my chest...

Its all about prioritizing and making sure you are comfortable with what you have to do...while im sure everyone would love to have a 210, the fact is that many peoples lives dont leave the time that needs to devote to everything we have going on...

I have felt that way a few times for sure. Saying to my self, why did I sell my 60 gallon cube!!! That tank was so easy and cheap. You never know when you get to that point until you are there. If you don't ever go too big you always want the bigger tank until you realize, wow this is a ton of work and costs a fortune ;)

Well the work is nothing. I enjoy testing, cleaning, and everything else. It keeps me sain, the money on the other hand is what is hurting me. I have all the time in the world to put into this tank but it's to the point where I think that time should be spent elsewhere.

Well the work is nothing. I enjoy testing, cleaning, and everything else. It keeps me sain, the money on the other hand is what is hurting me. I have all the time in the world to put into this tank but it's to the point where I think that time should be spent elsewhere.

Only if we can stop buying tank stuffs that we don't really need, then money will not be an issue!blush.gif

Yea corals that came from a tank that had aefw a year back probly won't fetch me anywhere near the 5000k I need for just the ac units. It's either the tank comes down or I roll the dice and stress out. I have to say I am going to set up an Sps tank again after I find a better house or fix this one. But it will be much deeper and a little shallower and have a dedicated circuit... We will see, it's going to be a long time before I can get everything a new home anyways. At least the new tank is about done cycling.

Only if we can stop buying tank stuffs that we don't really need, then money will not be an issue!blush.gif

Yea there are not too many things I have spent money on that I don't really need. I mean the corals were addicting for a while until I found the nice gifts that came with them.

I only spent money on fixing small things and things that would make the tank run better and be easier to take care of. Sadly after all that I am in the situation I am in now. I think what could be said for me is "if only we could plan a tank and buy all the right equipment the first time money might not be an issue". But hey I learned sooooo much from getting the wrong equipment or doing the wrong thing.

You know, you probably learned a gazillion things this time around and enjoyed the heck out of doing so. You'll never lose that and it'll serve you well even with a smaller tank. I agree with you 100% - it's about making choices about your priorities. I delayed getting into the hobby for 5+ years for that very reason. I did a lot of reading and, after learning something about the cost, figured I'd rather work on the house and the kids' education first, then the hobby. I'm glad I did.

You know, you probably learned a gazillion things this time around and enjoyed the heck out of doing so. You'll never lose that and it'll serve you well even with a smaller tank. I agree with you 100% - it's about making choices about your priorities. I delayed getting into the hobby for 5+ years for that very reason. I did a lot of reading and, after learning something about the cost, figured I'd rather work on the house and the kids' education first, then the hobby. I'm glad I did.

I have learned a lot. All in a couple of years. The good thing is there is always something to learn and I don't need a big tank to keep my mind busy.

It seems as if you know what you are doing according to your pictures. Capitalize on this knowledge and only grow corals that will quickly sell. This can be your "Victory Garden" and can ultimately pay for itself and possibly even pay for the new AC....

Can you change it over to a nice FOWLR and keep the tank? It would reduce the money costs greatly and you still have a large tank to enjoy.

He's got a good point. You already have some pretty fish, just take it a step further

I fully understand where you are coming from.

For me, it was time to downsize when the combined stress of taking care of the tank (competing costs, time, emotional, etc.) outweighed the pleasure it gave.

Before I moved to DC when I lived in NY, I had around a dozen tanks, plus a bunch of special project or culture tanks. While it was fun and neat to have a lot of different things, after a while the cost, time of maintaining it all, and ties to my home started to wear on me. I took everything down and didn't set up for about 9 months after I moved here (some - you included - may remember my WV storage unit blowout sale from a few years back...)

The smallish tank I have now, set up the way that I want it, is perfect. I can leave it for two weeks on 100% autopilot and not worry about it in the least and have all stuff that I wanted to add, having learned many lessons along the way.

Even though I am moving soon and will have much more space to work with, the only changes I will make in my system will be minor and in the layout.

(edited)

Chad your downsize is definatly a big one, must have been rough.

David and Braden thanks for the idea. I think I am going to keep the tank up until it's about time to move out, which hopefully won't be to much longer. I realized it's not about downsizing the actual tank just what's in it. I am going to keep only my favorite Sps corals and run one 400w on the left side to keep them happy. That will help with the house heating up during the day. Also help cut down on the electricity bill. Also make it much easier for me to completely break down in case of an emergency, like the ac going out or what not. Since deciding to get rid of everything I realized there are a couple pieces I really want to keep. I might let a couple fish go to good homes also that way I can maybe get rid of the gfo.

Edited by Piper27

True it does keep the house warm in the winter, I never have to turn on the heat.

Yeah except that in a few years this just might be the weather in December :laugh:

You have to do what you have to do............for me the tank is low in the priority list, household stuff take precedence.

Yea I am glad I am keeping some of my favorites. I was reaquascaping the right side today and you really don't see how cool the colors are on acros until you pick them up and look at the from the top. It was very nice to get some stuff out of the way and even though stuff is just laying right now I am excited at what I can do with the tank. It will be so nice to have to only worry about keeping a few corals happy.

Good to hear, Paul!

Sometimes it's crazy the simple little things that will rekindle some passion in the hobby.

Wow, I'm sorry you are in this sitation. I am rethinking my system too. I've wanted to get this gadget and that, but I'm not caring for it properly. So I am drying out some rock(I have far too much!), adding a fully auto-waterchange system, and downsizing coral.

For me its not that my system is anywhere near as involved as yours. But more that I need to care for what I have, before I can do anything else!

We all have to take a step back and think about what is really important to us. This hobby is so incredibly involved that we all reach our breaking point, or stay too task focused. Sometimes we put to much attention on one aspect of a system, but ignore another. AT some point we all need to get our hands out of the tanks and do something else for a while.

Is there anything I can do to help?