Nano cooling

emissary

So I'm putting together a 5G nano acrylic. It's a FW tank I've retrofitted with a 13W PC and removed the carbon etc. In a corner I've got a small (50W?) heater and an AquaClear 20. It's got sand in it now... maybe 3" deep, no rocks yet.

I'm trying to figure out how to retrofit a fan into the hood. There's a 1" by 1.5" hole in the corner of the hood in the back where the cords exit from under the canopy. I'm thinking I can screw a 1" by 1" fan into that. So here's my question:

What fan should I buy?

What electrical foo is required to "make it work"?

With a hole that size you are looking at 25, 30 or a 40mm fan. A 40mm exceeds 1.5" I believe. Making it work is a simple as finding a 12V power supply that you might have around the house. I wouldn't worry about inhibiting it any(lower voltage)... fans in that range don't move much air; like less than 5 CFM. Check out nexfan.com or there are many other e-tailers that sell DC fans.

Check out Radio Shack, too. Sometimes the fans are pretty noisy, but I found a couple of cheap ones (clearance) that are relatively quiet and do a great job. I think the power supply there cost me more than the fan ($5 fan, $15 power supply or something like that). If you want pictures, check out my education link for Floris Reef Tank or check out the same thread that goes back further on Reef Central or RDO).

emissary,

I kept a 2.5 gal nano for about a year w/ (2) 9w PC bulbs & a ViaAqua 70gph PH. I also had a 5 gal nano w/ (4) 9w PC & PH. That's all for equipment. I do believe you will find that the smaller tanks require less equipment & that the 13w PC bulb will not add too much heat to the water.

Also, when you put a bunch of equipment in a nano, the electrical cords coming from the canopy can look messy in relation to the size of the tank.

ooh ooh... I'm all over that dbartco. How much do you want to ship it to me? You live in the middle of BFE as I recall :)

I prolly could also use some advice on how to write it. I'm electrically challenged.

I need to go to Bars by Bud in Vienna to get a tank filled sometime anyway. I can find a way to get it out to you, if you can wait till mid week next week sometime. PM me your address again, even though I may still have your info.