New Aquarium for College, looking for suggestions.

L8 2 RISE

(edited)

Alright, I said I would never do it, but I've decided I'd like to bring an aquarium to college with me. It will be a nano that I'm hoping to just focus on nice zoa's and paly's as well as a rock anemone and a couple sexy shrimp. The two I'm looking at are:

The ecopico ( http://www.ecoxotic.com/led-aquariums/desktop-aquariums/eco-pico-reef.html )

209311_202442329776494_127048340649227_642874_1806515_o.jpg

and the nuvo aquarium pico 4 ( http://innovative-marine.com/nuvo-aquarium/pico4-0101.html ).

pico-4-IMG_2575.jpg

They're the same price ($150) but have slightly different options. I know a pretty good amount about the ecopico, but just about nothing about the Nuvo. Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Edited by L8 2 RISE

I don't know anything about it either, but the nuvo is pretty!

I'm surprised you lasted this long!

I think it really comes down to volume and aesthetics for ya. The eco is 5 gals with no overflow whereas the nuvo is 4 gals minus the space in the overflow, so less space. I personally like the look of the eco the best but would like the ability to hide a heater and top-off floats in the back chamber of the nuvo. I had a BC29 while I was at college, worked out great and I loved it, just the right size for college. But hey, if you're still undecided then just get both :)

I went through this same analysis for a friend a few weeks ago. I advised the nuvo, mainly for the integrated glass top and rear filter chamber. Fish jump out of uncovered nanos, as my daughter has sadly learned multiple times.

Nuvo would be my choice, too. Not only for style, but for the glass top. In addition to keeping fish in, it'll also cut down on evaporation. Remember, a nano will have proportionally higher evaporation because the surface area to volume ratio is higher than most of our larger tanks. Slowing evaporation will help stabilize your salinity and make for easier maintenance.

Thanks guys, they both actually come with a lid. I'm leaning toward the Nuvo too, but I don't know if it will have enough light. That's what I'm most worried about. I will probably pick one of them soon and set it up at home before bringing it to school.