naso tang emergency

dano

after finally felling like i can relax after 4 days without power and everything in my home tank looking ok I just saw my naso tang divebombing around the tank for 15 seconds and now lying upside down on the floor looking seconds from death. All of this completely out of the blue and suddenly. Any ideas? thanks

after finally felling like i can relax after 4 days without power and everything in my home tank looking ok I just saw my naso tang divebombing around the tank for 15 seconds and now lying upside down on the floor looking seconds from death. All of this completely out of the blue and suddenly. Any ideas? thanks

Did anything change ...did u do a water change or something

Was it feeding before

Are the other fish acting normal

It's odd

Check your ammonia level and do a partial water change as necessary. You may have some die off after the power outage. If your lights were off your oxygen levels might have dropped.

thanks for the help... too late... he was dead by the time I went back downstairs, maybe even before I wrote the post. Weird. 4 days without power. After the first day with a battery powered air pump and occasional water pump to move th water around with a battery inverter, I put the lights on the past two nights. Everything in this tank looked fine and didn't notice any die off. He was 7 1/2 inches and very beautiful. Eating well. Active. Fat and healthy. My favorite fish. Passed by the tank and he was jetting up to the top, down to the bottom, bumped into some rocks and scratched his face, and then was upside down on the bottom of the tank. A matter of seconds. Seemed to move gills a little which is when I ran upstairs to write post but when I returned downstairs there was already a hermit crab grabbing his mouth. I picked him up and tried to move him around a bit to see if I could get some air in him but no go. AARGGHH!!!!!

so sorry to hear. Naso tangs are one of my all time favorites.

I hope this is the final loss for Wamas members and that everyone has their power restored. Boy its been a tough couple of days, and triple digit temperatures on their way for the next three days.

m

Sorry to hear. Naso tangs are also my fav tangs. You may want to do a partial water change just to be safe and keep checking the parameters.

Sorry to hear the sad news. I agree you need to check your ammonia fast as it sounds like it might have been ammonia poisoning. It could have happened days ago but once the internal damage is started it can attacked the brain, organs, and central nervous system before the fish eventually dies.

When starting the plumbing on a tank that has been sitting for a day or more you have to be really careful. The stagnated water can foul fast and then be introduced into the tank.

Could also be a buildup of acids in the plumbing. I started up a skimmer that had been off for a couple of days before and it wiped out the fish in the tank as well as a clam and some other things. I believe that I had a buildup of sulfur dioxide due to the smell coming from it after I turned it back on and this being pumped back into the water column wiped out the fish. I can't be certain of this but based on the smell and circumstances I'm guessing that was it. Did you notice anything smelly when you turned your system back on?

• 7 months later...

how long did you have the fish> I had a wonderfull purple tang, very healthy, ate anything, fat and happy. After two months i woke up to find him dead in the rocks. I think this was caused by the way the catch the fish. Prob used something to make him sleep. Sometimes they die right away, some times it takes a long time. I had another tang, a naso that i got from mr coral. He was a puppy dog. Followed me around when i was looking for frags and squirted water at me, sigh, had to buy him. Turned out to be an excellent fish. One day he just quit eating after i had him for a month or two. He was very fat and was waisting away. This all from a fish that ate like a pig. After two weeks of worrying he finally started to eat again and has been doing fine since. We can only controll what goes on in our tanks, but the people who catch these fish are know to use toxins that not only harm the fish but harm the reef also.

oops

been i while since i have been here. sorry