Who's NOT running carbon?

(edited)

I resisted using carbon for the longest time because I was lazy and wanted to keep my system as simple/maintenance free as possible. I never went back after I saw the difference first hand.

Both photos were taken with the same WB. No post processing so a bit more blue than reality, but you can see the difference a day after running carbon. This makes me wonder what other "bad stuff" it may be taking out.

before:

242g8qe.jpg

after:

r1g3gp.jpg

I know that SPS release toxins even when in close proximity to each other. I feel a little safer thinking that carbon is helping in the reduction of those chemicals.

Regarding HLLE, I heard that the dust is what causes that. Don't know if there is truth to that, but I rinse my carbon well and have never had a HLLE problem.

-Robert

Edited by chucelli

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no Refugium. That's why I wanted to run the pellets to help remove nitrates. I'll figure something out. Thanks guys, for all your input.

How about carbon in a media bag, but pellets in the reactor? Do you have a skimmer on this system?

chucelli, thanks for the pics.

Tom, that is an option that I was considering, but I have a glass holes OF and there is no room inside there for one. I am running a skimmer (asm gx1). I'm thinking of making a very simple ATS out of a 5g bucket. Then I can remove my skimmer, right? "Then I'll have so much more room for activities."

if you dont change out carbon it is worthless, also be comes a nitrate factory.

make it simple, don't try and do everything. Less is more!

You can also use a carbon dosing form. If I were to recommend one I would go with vinegar. I currently dose vinegar and have been happy with the results. I would not/will not use vodka again. To easy to screw up with vodka. I am also a carbon user, I use larger pellets rinsed extrememly well and I change it very frequently. I buy it in bulk and dont find the cost to be to much. As I said early, I just hang it in a bag in the sump. I dont run any reactors at all. I use a skimmer, refugium, carbon and vinegar. I also use some phos remover sometimes. I think my system is very simple and on the less than more side. I also find doing nice sized frequent water changes is very helpful.

If you want to keep it simple, only use whatever media (carbon, gfo, phos-stuff, pellets, etc) that will directly attack the problem. I use carbon more than anything else. I use mesh bags instead of reactors because it's way cheaper and doesn't require an additional pump/plumbing. I change it on service tanks every month or two and on my own tank every 6 months or so. There are some reef tanks that I never use carbon because they don't need it. Carbon is nice if you want to make your water all shiny and pretty to impress someone coming over to buy corals.

When I used pellets, cyano ran rampant. No pellets, no cyano.

GFO is hit or miss. A fuge works better at battling nuisance algae.

If you want to keep it simple, only use whatever media (carbon, gfo, phos-stuff, pellets, etc) that will directly attack the problem. I use carbon more than anything else. I use mesh bags instead of reactors because it's way cheaper and doesn't require an additional pump/plumbing. I change it on service tanks every month or two and on my own tank every 6 months or so. There are some reef tanks that I never use carbon because they don't need it. Carbon is nice if you want to make your water all shiny and pretty to impress someone coming over to buy corals.

When I used pellets, cyano ran rampant. No pellets, no cyano.

GFO is hit or miss. A fuge works better at battling nuisance algae.

Completely agree with this statement.!

My tank ran carbon sporatically for the first 35 years or so but for the last few years I have not used carbon except maybe for a few hours before I do a water change but that would be very rare.

The tank has never looked better and the corals are growing so fast I have to use a weed wacker or they would grow up the walls.

I think carbon is a great invention but I think it removes too much good stuff with the bad stuff. I still use a skimmer and a small algae filter.