Where can I get glass cut for a DIY sump?

nbgen12

I'm trying to get the last things together for my tank transfer....the last thing I need is the pieces of glass to baffle my sump. I live in Vienna, but Vienna Glass went out of business and I have no idea where else does the same type of stuff. Anyone have any suggestions in the general Vienna/Fairfax/McLean area?? I'll drive wherever I have to so I can buy the glass and get it cut tomorrow morning.

Del Ray glass in southern Alexandria cut mine when I needed it. Size was spot on, so not much more that I can ask for.

Hopefully the Lowes in Sterling can come through for me....I'll probably give that a shot first. Hopefully everything will work out because I'm super sick of this 55g and can't wait to get into the 75g and finally have a little room to work with haha

(edited)

Give them a call first! I don't know if every Lowes carry glass. I'd cut my own too. It's pretty easy, ugh! once you get a hang of it! Also, they are extremely sharp! wear gloves when handle glass.

Edited by flooddc

I will definitely call....hopefully people will keep posting places. I would love to have plenty of backup plans...

When I went to lowes they only had thin glass and whoever cut it needed lessons... Everyone is different though maybe you will have luck.

I agreed, they are thin 3/16 I believed. But will do for DYI sump purpose. I used them to built the 70G refugium. I also use them as sump/refug covers. They don't warp like acrylic.

My sump is only 29g so the thin glass is no big deal. Lowes in sterling did a great job on the cuts!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

The Lowes here told me they would not cut glass. The only glass I have seen there though, is thin glass not suitable for things that can happen in a sump.

I may need to get glass cut soon, was wondering if there is a place closer than Gaithersburg Glass Co.

The Lowes here told me they would not cut glass. The only glass I have seen there though, is thin glass not suitable for things that can happen in a sump.

I may need to get glass cut soon, was wondering if there is a place closer than Gaithersburg Glass Co.

Gaithersburg Glass Co. charged an arm and leg for their glass. If I remember correctly, they once quote me $60 for a 18"x18" x (1/4)". You can always glue 2 sheets of glass together or utilize a "T" configuration for stronger support, IMO.

Thanks guys, Lowe's came through with some good cuts. My only issue is now that my stand is a few inches too short to fit everything I want within the stand. Please let me know if you've got a 75g stand around which is around 34 inches tall! I've posted this in the WTB forum with my phone number in case anyone can help.