Braden's 375 Gallon Total System Volume Build

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like your list thus far!

I personally would also switch out the flame for something like a swallowtail and then maybe get the male anthia to go with the females (if your doing that large of a harem one would turn to male anyways) and they have a nice red/pink color (i currently have 1 male and 2 females)

Like your list thus far!

I personally would also switch out the flame for something like a swallowtail and then maybe get the male anthia to go with the females (if your doing that large of a harem one would turn to male anyways) and they have a nice red/pink color (i currently have 1 male and 2 females)

Yeah, I'm thinking more and more about the flame angel and how he most likely won't have a place. I'm aware of the sex change of one of the anthias. I once made the unfortunate mistake of purchasing a male anthias from the maldives and he was subsequently killed pretty quickly by the then dominant female. Thanks for your input!

Those darn females! I just know mine did the same to both my males. Are you going with lyretails over the huchtii? Probably a better choice lol.wacko.gif

So I had the impeller housing for my return pump crack the other day when Piper27 and I were finishing up the plumbing. Thanks to MBVette, I have a new housing and the return pump is ready to go!

The tank is cycling now with a couple of chromis in it. I have a small bloom of aiptasia in the frag tank and need to get that taken care off before I tie the display tank into the system.

Somehow, I have an aiptasia in my new display tank. Must have hitch-hiked in on the chaeto. Probably will set me back a couple weeks or so while I ensure that there aren't anymore.

I've done the matted filefish route before and only had so-so luck with it. What I am considering doing is completing the cycle for my display tank then transferring my limited livestock over to it. Then drain the sump and frag tank and clean them out thoroughly to ensure that there isn't any aiptasia lingering there. I had a bad aiptasia outbreak with my last tank that I had full access to all sides with. With my new tank going up against a wall and with a canopy, my access to the sides and back of the tank are severely limited.

Here's a thought, will fresh water kill aiptasia? If i was to drain the frag tank and the sump and fill with fresh water, would that handle my problem with these pests?

That's what I'm thinking that I should do. Get my livestock into the display tank and blast a couple gallons of vinegar throught the sump and frag tank. Should I do that or use a muriatic acid/water mix?

• 2 weeks later...

The plumbing is all new and the display tank has been segregated from the sump and the frag tank. The frag tank, sump, and all associated plumbing has had a vinegar water mixture running through it for a few days. The ph was holding steady at abou 5.5 or so and I'm fairly certain that all living things have been killed off. To include the copepods and amphipods unfortunately. I've since drained the tanks, rinsed them, drained them again and filled with fresh RO water and salt. Later on tonight I will be turning on the main pump and will start the siphon on the DT. Here we go!

okay... just let me know when your tank is ready... the male is picking on my jawfish and midas so they need a bigger home..I should have known better but they have grown ALOT in the 4 months ive had them...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Braden, where are those pics you were promising?

Having a bit of a cyano breakout and just ordered some cleanup crews from reefcleaners.org. Pics should be up tonight!