Titanium heaters. Do they 100% have to stay vertical or can the be place horizontal?

Tracy G

What brand of heater?

Does the manual say to keep it vertical?

Although I have not heard of any requirement with a submersible heater, I believe it is a good idea to keep the temperature control end of the heater out of the water. Since this is the "weakest link" of water infiltration into the heater, removing it from the water extends the life and reduces the probability of failure for the heater.

I used that model in the horizontal position in a sump for 2 years without problem.

That unit is fully submersible and I know the manual does say not to place it horizontal but most of us do and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues. It also says not to place it in the sump but only in the main tank, not many people do that either.

http://www.f3images....als/VA73337.pdf

Thank you. I was wondering this myself. Good to know.

I think the reason they don't want the heater horizontally is that some people might then place the temp probe over the heater where the rising warmer water throws off the temperature of the tank. It is easier just to say keep it upright and keep the probe 4" away.

(edited)

I think the reason they don't want the heater horizontally is that some people might then place the temp probe over the heater where the rising warmer water throws off the temperature of the tank. It is easier just to say keep it upright and keep the probe 4" away.

so if the probe is in the DT and the heater is horizontal (and unobstructed) in the sump, the logic behind their advice is non-pertinent?

Edited by wogga

I use 3 different types of commercial titanium heaters on the stores. 2 of them are made for upright (vertical use) and 1 is horizontal. I would follow manufacturers recommendations when dealing with heaters as they are one of the more delicate things that we put in our tanks.

I meant delicate in the sense that heaters are probably the scariest things that we put in our tanks. How many times have you heard of heaters failing and discharging electricity into the water? I've seen several titanium heaters that have corroded to the point where they burst open and have failed.