The Outlaw Bar Tank

Origami is right in that with the continuous wall it's a bit of a challenge getting the mag float set. But it can be a fun game of just timing the tank currents and catching the inside part it as it goes by.

Duct tape. :biggrin:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

I wasn't planning on using a mag float so no game for me. Are the acrylic inserts for the Kent long hangle scrapers any good?

I used a mag float frequently to get the softer stuff, which I suspect would have turned harder over time. I suspect you'll want to have one too. I just left it on the pane all the time in the corner.

The Kent scrapers aren't great but without a front access panel, they are the main option on the front by the sand. I don't know how long your arms are but it's hard to get enough pressure as you may be using just your fingertips. The red inserts are good when they are new and the edge is sharp. Coraline algae is basically medium/fine grit sandpaper so once you use them for 5 minutes the plastic edges get rounded off and dull. This means you need to apply more pressure which is tough from just the end of a 1'-2' pole.

Ugh, now I'm getting flashbacks. I think I need to go scrape some algae off my glass tank with a mag float and metal blade. :ph34r:

Edited by DaveS

Ok, progress is slow. I've bee working on the main light. The internal ballasts went bad so I had to switch to an external ballast. Plus, the transformer for the fans was bad so I had to replace that. I went from this mess:

Fraken-light

0725121718.jpg

To this sexy beast

0725121752.jpg

I'll be mounting the light tomorrow and should have the tank filled as high as it can go before I plumb the sump in. Baby steps, but I'm getting there.

Ok, progress is slow. I've bee working on the main light. The internal ballasts went bad so I had to switch to an external ballast. Plus, the transformer for the fans was bad so I had to replace that. I went from this mess:

Fraken-light

0725121718.jpg

To this sexy beast

0725121752.jpg

I'll be mounting the light tomorrow and should have the tank filled as high as it can go before I plumb the sump in. Baby steps, but I'm getting there.

Wow, nice work!!

I wasn't planning on using a mag float so no game for me. Are the acrylic inserts for the Kent long hangle scrapers any good?

They work, but you really have to get leverage to apply the pressure needed to remove hard deposits. The longer the handle, the harder it is to get good pressure on the glass. Also, like others have mentioned, you have to keep putting an edge on the blade with sandpaper if you want them to last.

Ok, got the bottom of the stand finished (a couple more side pieces still need to go on). But, this is enough for the sump to go in!! Now I can plumb it!!!!!! :clap:

0802121439.jpg

ok, progress has been made!! Steve Velasco (and others) helped me figure out that I had the main drain of my Bean Animal overflow too high - so I completly took off the the stand pipe in the overflow box and have it draining directly into the bulkhead.

0804121608.jpg

I need to start mounting ballasts and raising the lights a bit, but I had to give the lighting a trial run:

0804121609.jpg

And I still have to finish the tiling and caulking of the stand bottom.

0804121608a.jpg

I'm hoping for some decent weather tomorrow so I can start planning out my rock structures........I may even get some rock in the tank!!

First attempt at rockscaping........it's harder than you think trying to do it from the back when you can't see!!

Front

0811121805.jpg

Back

0811121806.jpg

I'm thinking it's a little too busy. I may try to make it more open.

Pretty good first shot at the rockwork without being able to see from the front side lol.