Dropped MP40 wet side

bcoop78

(edited)

I mean dry side!!! Dropped it in my sump for like 20 seconds! Am I screwed??

Edited by bcoop78

(edited)

Place it in a ziplock bag and a dessicant pouch or rice for a couple days to dry it out. Worked for a couple of cell phones

Edited by killrblue

(edited)

I mean dry side!!! Dropped it in my sump for like 20 seconds! Am I screwed??

I have not physically seen a mp40. But I think the dry side contains some kind of coil or magnetic driver for the pump!

Saltwater will eats electronic parts in time. As an electrical/electronic engineer and also used to be a cellular and pager repair technician, a proper way is to take it apart and dry it with electronic board cleaner spray. But I would NOT recommend you taking it apart. So, If you have a Computer dust cleaner spray available, spray it with the cleaner and let it dry for a couple of days. If not, use a hair dryer, set it to COOL and try to dry it out and then let it sit a few day to completely dry. Also, try the rice method (I never done it before) but maybe the rice will absorbs the moisture. Never hurt to try. Most important, when you are ready to plug it in, make sure you plug it into a GFCI outlet just in case there still some water left in the unit. Good Luck and give us a update.

Update:

Oh! after searching the Internet, I found some pics of the internal dry side for the mp40. It's a bunch of coils. So I think you should be fine after it dry out.

Edited by flooddc

A couple times of knocking light fixtures in and not wanting to throw the 2nd and 3rd away.... I take stuff apart, clean it off with alcohol instead of water, let the alcohol evaporate and then put the thing back together.

Thanks guys... I'm so bummed.. But hey, it's $250 for a new dry side- nothing worse than losing a prized coral or fish- a part of the hobby. I will update in a few days.....

Has anyone here opened a dry side? It may be reasonably well sealed and not even wet inside after only 20 seconds in the drink. Can you hear water in it? I would not try to power it up until you know what the deal is here. As mentioned above, give Ecotech a call. There are others here that are opening their MP40W dry sides in order to perform a bearing replacement. While not difficult to do, I'd wait until opening it until after calling Ecotech. If you're under warranty, you don't want to risk losing it if opening the unit up causes warranty issues.

I am so stoked this morning!! Here is a testament to the quality of Ecotech products:

My MP40 was mounted to the top of a 2' cube, on top of a 36" high stand when it fell- so it dropped about 34", hit the top edge of my sump, landed submerged into warm saltwater, and sat there powered up for around 20 seconds until I realized what I did. Then, I of course reached in and grabbed it out without pulling the plug first... I didn't have any rice, so I sit it out in front of a fan overnight. This morning- it works!!!

I dropped my MP10 so many times that the "cap" popped off the dry side. After having a look inside, I don't think that you'd have an issue and I see that you haven't. I'm sure you'll be good to go from here on out with it.

I am so stoked this morning!! Here is a testament to the quality of Ecotech products:

My MP40 was mounted to the top of a 2' cube, on top of a 36" high stand when it fell- so it dropped about 34", hit the top edge of my sump, landed submerged into warm saltwater, and sat there powered up for around 20 seconds until I realized what I did. Then, I of course reached in and grabbed it out without pulling the plug first... I didn't have any rice, so I sit it out in front of a fan overnight. This morning- it works!!!

That's good news.

<br /><br />

<br />

That's good news.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

definitely.... Of course now my Radion is giving me issues.....

<br /><br /><br />

definitely.... Of course now my Radion is giving me issues.....

what's going on with your radion? you didn't drop it in the sump as well did you? :happy: