Help me plan my 36x24x18 set up

londonloco

I ordered from Adam Bowers a 60ish gallon starfire front rimless tank, 36x24x18, 40" tall oak stand, 30x16x16 sump and 16x4x16 ato reservoir. I'm really excited. Project won't be ready for pick up until July sometime, killing me to wait. I'll start a build thread as soon as Adam sends me some pics. :biggrin: I could use some help in planning hardware.

Return: I'm thinking a Eheim 1262 given the stand is 40" tall, head will be almost 58". I was going to go with a E1260, but then thought I would need the E1262 to move the water up almost 4 feet. The E1262 gives me 900gph to start, anyone know head loss per foot? Any experiences with Eheim pumps? I do have a mag 9.5 lying around here, but it runs hot and is pretty loud. Tank will be drilled 3 holes for bean animal, 2 hole return.

Skimmer: Reef Octopus 4" Pinwheel In Sump Skimmer OCT NWB110 has gotten pretty good reviews on this size tank. Sump compartment will be 10"x16". Any others I should consider?

Lighting: I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I want to beat it a little more. I'm trying to decide on lighting, and am really undecided. LED's, I have budgeted for 2xRadions, but I'm really not into spending $1500 and HOPE they last the 50K hours they claim. My last reef had two Hamilton 14K hqi pendants, hung from ceiling, on a 120g I never needed a chiller. I am considering MH/T5 combo's, but since I've been out of the hobby for a few years, not sure what good quality fixtures are out there. All the talk is LED LED LED, not many reviews on these combos anymore. I would also consider just T5's, but unsure how many bulbs to go with. I don't want to add a chiller, so heat is a concern. If you were lighting this tank, and don't want to be limited to what you can keep coral wise, how would you do it?

Thanks all......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 radions would work really nicely over a tank with those dimensions. Another thought, steveoutlaw has a 400w MH + T5 fixture for sale for $500. it would also light that tank very nicely (but then you have annual bulb costs, extra heat in the tank, etc.)

I used to have a octopus nw150 and a nw200. loved them both. great brand.

I have a frag tank that is very similar to your sizes...

i light mine with a hamilton MH/T5 fixture....175w DE and 2 39w t5s....coverage is suprisingly good...towards the sides of the tank it definaly not as bright (mine is only 18 wide but i think a 24 wide would still have plenty of light to grow just about everything....mine is raised up about 10 inches off the water (so about 12-14 inches from bulb to water)

mine is a fixture and no hood though ive been thiking about making one or just going to t5s since i dont really need all that light with the tank turning mainly into my zoa garden.

flow wise, ehiems are great...last FOREVER...i would think the 1260 would do you fine for a tank that size...my inlaws run a 110g off a 1262 (pump is probably 7 years old and going strong) yes there are more efficient ones out there but still the most reliable and proven ones i know of...i am liking the reports on the waterblaster pumps though..

a Mag9 would be way too much flow if you ask me, unless your using it to plumb a closed loop...i run mag 9.5 cause its what i had laying around...its very queit for me and i have to dial it back for my system (90g, 35 frag)

you really want to have flow in the tank and not use the return for flow as much...turn over rate most shoot for is 10x volume of the tank i think (for you would be around 600g i think)

for flow, cheap yet very effective are koralia's.....i like my vortechs mp40s but they are expensive at first....tunze pumps are very expensive but have a proven track record kinda like ehiems....yes variable/random flow is nice to say you have but is it necessary NOOOOO.....they do take up more space than a vortech but you cant aim a vortech diagonally but thats usually not a problem

I really like ryans radions...but im with you...that cost is WAY over what im willing to spend....T5s are nice but im still a metal halide junkie and i think my corals speak for that...yes im biased and very well could get the same colors with LEDs....but...

You need to plan out what corals your looking to have, sps, lps, mixed reef etc....that will really tell you what your looking for....i would think you could get away with 1 Mh and either LED or T5 to fill the rest....or all t5 or all led...depends on budget and preference....

For skimmer, look at avast, near impossible to beat for price and perf....and they are local.

im sure others will chime in too.

Congrats on the new tank, cant wait to see the build happen.

My opinion, MH's are tested, tried and true, adding a couple of VHO or T-5 aswell. The track record for them is undeniable! Like any other lighting system, you will get 10 different opinions. If your starting from scratch, and I know you are, a good closed loop system is a must in my opinion, forget about the MP's, Tunze's and Korillas, etc...keep it as clean looking as possible. (not saying you might not need one down the road for added circulation) As far as a skimmer goes, same thing as lighting 10 different opinions. I am currently just using a SWC 150 cone skimmer and I love it. If I was going to change, I would probably look at a Deltec, I dont know. You absolutley made the correct choice by going with a tall stand(42"), You will not regret that !!! Get the biggest sump you can possible fit.

For flow I plan on one mp40, adding another one if need be. I have a mp10 on my 20g long, def high on the kewl factor, and surprising very quiet. Of course, I doubt I could hear it over the 9.5mag I have on the 125g across the room.... :wacko:

If I went mh/t5 combo, would one 250w mh hqi give me enough coverage? or too much since the tank is only 18" high? I would hang the fixture from a bar so light from surface would be adjustable. I really like the catalinaaquarium.com fixtures I have on my fw tanks (I currently have 4 of them running for YEARS), they do have individual reflectors, Jim is great to work with, but most here frown upon them (I think).

I have been looking at this fixture with either 150w or 250w hqi and an electronic ballast:

http://www.hellolights.com/36inch-hamilton-belize-sun-hqi-high-output-t5-lighting-system.aspx

Comments?

Great size tank. I think that assuming you're not going 100% sps, a single metal halide with t5s would work fine for you. A t5 fixture would also work well, and IMO, t5s get the best colors for corals. I'd look at a TEK elite or ATI sunpower if you go T5. Haven't used the catalinas but I would imagine the reflectors aren't quite as good as the ATIs...less of an issue for freshwater planted tanks since most plants saturate at higher then 200 par so high light isn't as big a deal (at least per Tom Barr's most recent info).

I had a single Maristar fixture over a 70 cube (30 x 30 x 18) with great coverage. 36" will leave a little dim but that works well for zoos, lps, chalices, etc. If you go LEDs, you can also take a look at the new AI vega coming out as well as the pacific sun products. I've also heard good things about the Kessil lights (caveat...I don't run LED nor plan to anytime soon).

You can't go wrong with an Avast cs1 for your size tank. I would favor 2 smaller powerheads over a single MP40 in that tank. The Tunze 6055s would sync well with your size tank. A closed loop is an additional thought (I'll be using my first closed loop on an upcoming build). I personally prefer powerheads as they are transferrable for the inevitable upgrade, and there is less risk of a leak.

Loving my Eheim 1260. I actually thought about redoing my plumbing to have the 1260 feed my reactors as well. I should have thought about it before I started stocking my new 40g Breeder. Probably redo it next month. Enjoying my Kessil A150Ws and might add some T5s in a custom hood.

Thanks Roni, I am limited to fish selection, but just couldn't do a 48" or 60" tank in the location, the wall is only 42" wide (stand will be 42" long tho :biggrin: )

I want to eventually keep some sps's, what do you think of the fixture I posted above?

I haven't seen a picture or video of a tank lit with the Kessil a150 I didn't wow and ahhhhh over. The Kessil tuna blues just came out, hate to be one of the firsts to run it. I also saw the Al Vega video "leaked" this morning, lol...wasn't impressed with the video. Doesn't mean the light isn't any good, just means their marketing dept needs to reevaluate.

White Balance is PITA. I'm waiting on my new Macro lens to arrive and a grey card today. Hopefully will post a photo/video sample soon.

(edited)

This light is awesome. I have seen it in person and its pretty sweet. I am going with a Sfiligoi for my new build. I think you would be happy with it. If you went for T5, I would do an 8x24 ATI sunpower over your tank.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/SunPower_Fixtures/24_inch__8x24W_SunPower_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

As for flow, i would go with 2 MP10's over one MP40. That way you could have one on each end.

And for a skimmer, I love my ATB. well worth the money.

Edited by epleeds

This light is awesome. I have seen it in person and its pretty sweet. I am going with a Sfiligoi for my new build. I think you would be happy with it.

It's definitely awesome and looks super sleek too. A $1300 light for $450 is a pretty good deal as well. The only possible drawback is the 400w MH bulb, but if you ran a 400w 20k I think it would be okay?

I ordered from Adam Bowers a 60ish gallon starfire front rimless tank, 36x24x18, 40" tall oak stand, 30x16x16 sump and 16x4x16 ato reservoir. I'm really excited. Project won't be ready for pick up until July sometime, killing me to wait. I'll start a build thread as soon as Adam sends me some pics. :biggrin: I could use some help in planning hardware.

Hi Loni! Glad to see you posting up...I only found it because I ended up with several PM's mentioning/requesting glass tanks all of a sudden so I knew you had to be the one to blame rolleyes.gif. You "ordered" carries a couple different meanings here then doesn't it ;). You certainly twisted my arm a bit to get that one hehehe, but I will enjoy building it certainly.

As requested, I'll get pics to you as soon as the build comes along. Only part of your build currently under construction right now is the ATO Reservoir...just started on that one last night clap.gif

2 radions would work really nicely over a tank with those dimensions. Another thought, steveoutlaw has a 400w MH + T5 fixture for sale for $500. it would also light that tank very nicely (but then you have annual bulb costs, extra heat in the tank, etc.)

Silly boy.......the light is designed specifically NOT to add any heat to the water. I have a 400w MH over my 60 gallon cube and it maintains 78 with no external cooling.......not even fans.

And sorry, but I decided to keep these fixtures to light my new bar tank.

ya ya. until you change your mind again... tomorrow! I am determined to help you sell those lights! :)

(edited)

Silly boy.......the light is designed specifically NOT to add any heat to the water. I have a 400w MH over my 60 gallon cube and it maintains 78 with no external cooling.......not even fans.

Grrrr, I just pm'd you, go look :biggrin: Pretty fixture and would have matched with what I'm doing to the background.....

Edited by londonloco

Hi Loni! Glad to see you posting up...I only found it because I ended up with several PM's mentioning/requesting glass tanks all of a sudden so I knew you had to be the one to blame rolleyes.gif. You "ordered" carries a couple different meanings here then doesn't it ;). You certainly twisted my arm a bit to get that one hehehe, but I will enjoy building it certainly.

As requested, I'll get pics to you as soon as the build comes along. Only part of your build currently under construction right now is the ATO Reservoir...just started on that one last night clap.gif

LOL, well, now Adam, the only twisting that was done was...well, maybe not, ok, maybe I twisted a little. That ato reservoir was a great add, thank's for suggesting it, I'm not anxiously awaiting pics, not at all.... :tongue:

Since I've gotten your opinion on everything else, what say you on lighting? I was all set on the Radions, then another hobbiest showed up at my house last night to borrow a pump and got me doubting myself. Steveoutlaws fixture is a great deal, but I'm concerned 400mh + 4 T5's = high temps on a 18" tank.

Since I've gotten your opinion on everything else, what say you on lighting? I was all set on the Radions, then another hobbiest showed up at my house last night to borrow a pump and got me doubting myself. Steveoutlaws fixture is a great deal, but I'm concerned 400mh + 4 T5's = high temps on a 18" tank.

Have you seen Radions in person yet? If not, you should go see them in action.

I am still considering the Radion's, but am having a hard time spending 1500$ on something that has not been around for more than a few years. I haven't found any posts, anywhere, with them running successfully for over a year yet. I still might get them, just not ready to pull the plug.

(edited)

If it were me I would get this:

http://www.reefgeek....Sunlight_Supply

Edit $370 with bulbs is saving you over $1,100 dollars.

The tek is plenty for an 18" deep tank. No need to get ATI.

$1,100 is a big savings no matter who you are. You will never come out ahead in electricity or bulb cost savings by going led w/ radions.

Edited by BowieReefer84

If it were me I would get this:

http://www.reefgeek....Sunlight_Supply

Edit $370 with bulbs is saving you over $1,100 dollars.

The tek is plenty for an 18" deep tank. No need to get ATI.

$1,100 is a big savings no matter who you are. You will never come out ahead in electricity or bulb cost savings by going led w/ radions.

Year 1: $370

Year 2: $370+$125=$495

Year 3: $495+$125=$620

Year 4: $620+$125=$745

Year 5: $745+$125=$870

Radion

Year 5: $1500

T5 fixture = $600 savings over 5 years. A nice chunk of change, but less than $1,100.

Not to take away from the radions, but I would go T5 and spend the $1,000 difference on corals and fish.

what about the current usa fixture i linked above for $400. would you recommend the 6 bulb t5 fixture you linked over that?

18 lunar lights, 2 250w MHs, and 4 T5s vs 6T5s... for the same price...?