Help me plan my 36x24x18 set up

londonloco

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

radion year 6 = 3,000

haha couldnt resist

radions are supposed to last for 50,000 hours.

10 hrs/day = 3650 hrs/year = 13.7 years per unit.

so it would still be

radion year 13 = $1500

(the T5 fixture would be up to $1870 by then)

smart a$$. :P

Also, here is a return pump recommendation:

Tunze Silence 1073.05

http://www.mrsaltwatertank.com/mr-saltwater-tanks-review-of-the-tunze-silence-1073-05/

Roger over on RC said 5ft of head would be about 450-500gph on the TS 1073.05m which is a little low for a 60 gallon tank, don't you think? I found a Eheim chart here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339739

The Eheim 1260 looks about 420gph, the 1262 like about 600gph, which is almost perfect at 10x the tank volumn, this is right?

Mr. Saltwater recommends 1-1.5 turnover per hour through the sump. I think the Tunze would be more than adequate. 10x through sump sounds like a lot from what I have read.

I was actually planning on the tunze on the new 120 I am setting up... Not sure still :/

LOL, well, now Adam, the only twisting that was done was...well, maybe not, ok, maybe I twisted a little. That ato reservoir was a great add, thank's for suggesting it, I'm not anxiously awaiting pics, not at all.... :tongue:

Since I've gotten your opinion on everything else, what say you on lighting? I was all set on the Radions, then another hobbiest showed up at my house last night to borrow a pump and got me doubting myself. Steveoutlaws fixture is a great deal, but I'm concerned 400mh + 4 T5's = high temps on a 18" tank.

Oh goodness Loni...I don't even know how many emails we have back and forth over this build, but I will certainly have to default to the members here for your lighting as I am certainly no expert in that regard.

I personally am a techie guy so of course would LOVE LOVE to have Radion's myself, but that $1500 bill is a big pill to swallow. In all honesty, that pill would likely deter me personally. How do you feel about taking on a DIY LED project? ;)

I recently found this ---> http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/makersled-designer-heatsink-kit-professional-grade/. I would actually be curious to see what others thought about it. It seems as if it would be easier to construct that the typical DIY LED setup and would produce a pretty nice piece of kit.

Mr. Saltwater recommends 1-1.5 turnover per hour through the sump. I think the Tunze would be more than adequate. 10x through sump sounds like a lot from what I have read.

I was actually planning on the tunze on the new 120 I am setting up... Not sure still :/

Wow I always read 10x, I'm far from an expert on anything tho. But 1.5 would only be 100gph-ish....

ya ya. until you change your mind again... tomorrow! I am determined to help you sell those lights! :)

Yes, I do tend to change my mind a lot.......and thank goodness or I will still be stuck with a LED fixture!

oh for sump turn over i try for around 5x....i think mr saltwater is talking about flow into the skimmer...i could be wrong but really anywhere from 3-5x should be just fine.

i think im around 5-600gph in my 90g...maybe a lill less...

personallyi dont think it really matters, its nice to keep things in suspension...and to make sure when you turn your pump off you dont have a flood

isnt that the company that had a few tank fires on RC in the past?

why not go with a reputable, high quality brand, like tek or ati ?

No fires that I know of, I think your thinking of Odessa fixtures, and even those fixtures have a much better track record these days. I have 4 of these running currently, and one in storage. Have had one of them running for over 3 years, granted on freshwater planted, but have never had a problem with them, except 3 bulbs on a 75g is way too much light. They will customize, most my fixtures have a cord/switch for every bulb. They do come with individual polished reflectors. Why do you think they are cheaply made? Did someone here have a bad experience with one? I'm just curious why they have such a bad rap with reefers.

I actually had that fixture in 48" on the 120g for a little time after I broke down the reef, on a planted tank. It was a good fixture, my only complaint was it was very heavy and the switch/cords were not as many as I would have liked. If you call Jim at Catalina, he will try to customize to your specs. The Catalina fixtures are much lighter, does that mean they are cheaply made? I am completely ignorant when it comes to electrical components (as in lack of knowledge) so that is a sincere question.

No fires that I know of, I think your thinking of Odessa fixtures, and even those fixtures have a much better track record these days. I have 4 of these running currently, and one in storage. Have had one of them running for over 3 years, granted on freshwater planted, but have never had a problem with them, except 3 bulbs on a 75g is way too much light. They will customize, most my fixtures have a cord/switch for every bulb. They do come with individual polished reflectors. Why do you think they are cheaply made? Did someone here have a bad experience with one? I'm just curious why they have such a bad rap with reefers.

could totally be odyssea that i am thinking of.

i used to have a dual 250w ballast, it was catalina. never had a problem with it, worked great.

everyone just says ati and tek are the best T5 units on the market... never heard that about catalina... so if its the same price, might as well go with the best ones... but if its a lot cheaper.. and it works great, might as well save the money?

But with the catalina fixture, I can get moonlights, and have 2 bulbs on one switch/cord, which increases lighting options. Meh, I have a few months to decide....

Here is a sweet fixture on RC right now. The seller lives in Manassas.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2167622

This is the fixture:

http://www.aquacave.com/36-Current-USA-Outer-Orbit-2x250W-10000K-HQI-MH-w-4x39W-T5-HO-18-Lunar-Lights-P1218.aspx

It's a pretty good deal at $400 I think.

He dropped his price to $300:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/3007020770.html

Figured I would chime in on this since I am setting up the same size but 6" shallower. I think the only thing I can do for lights is set up a retrofit so I can get the lights spread out more. I would buy that fixture with the dual 250's but I think that would be way to much light for what I am doing and for how shallow the tank is...

By the way the guy in Manassas selling the orbit dual 250 fixture will go down to $250 which is pretty good. I would buy it but two 250's would burn the corals at 12" depth... I wish it had 150's on that thing!