Trigger fish

Mike Mann

I wanted to ask for everyones input on if keeping a trigger fish in a reef tank is something that can be done with out it causing too many problems. Also if its not which trigger is best suited for a reef tank?

My blue throat trigger was fine with coral, inverts(shrimp, crabs ans snails), anemones, etc. The problem is all fish are not the same. You might end up with one that love the taste of inverts or coral.

ok even with any type of anemone?

i have 2 rock flower anemones, and 1 rbta. no problem

+1 for the bluejaw, I have a male/female pair and the only thing they have ever had a problem with are shrimp. Those are toast. But clams, nems, gorgonia, corals, etc are completely safe for 2 years now.

I used to have a Niger Trigger in a mixed reef that was a model citizen. I didn't have any clams, but I had snails, hermits, shrimp, corals, and he left them all alone.

No need to go racist Ryan lol but Ok well I don't really keep up with my triggers so I guess I just need to see which I like the best. Is size an issue with others such as tangs or clowns or anything? I know they will eat other small fish that will it in there mouth.

No need to go racist Ryan lol but Ok well I don't really keep up with my triggers so I guess I just need to see which I like the best. Is size an issue with others such as tangs or clowns or anything? I know they will eat other small fish that will it in there mouth.

Triggers mouths are very small, and i've had small gobies with the trigger as well. Other fish will not be a problem. If you want to consider bluejaw or xhatchet, and if price is not a concern, I recommend xhatchet as they are not shy at all, bluejaw tends to be very shy at first. I've had both kinds...

Wow yea I cannot afford the xhatch. Na can't do it lol so bluejaw and Niger are really the only other two? Any one know of or kept any other kind without problems? But out of those two both kinda seem similar in looks on vivids website.

Bluechin and Sargassum triggers, too, deal well in community aquariums. They're in the same Xanthichthys species.

Here's an Advance Aquarist article, Aquarium Fish: Triggerfish, you might like.

Do not get a Niger. It will become mean most likely. The first Niger i had for around 4 years was very peaceful towards inmates but hated any human. He would attack the glass. My second one i just got rid off was kinda mean towards his inmates. He would chase them for fun. He never tried hurting them but i was tired of the harassment.

Do not get a Niger. It will become mean most likely. The first Niger i had for around 4 years was very peaceful towards inmates but hated any human. He would attack the glass. My second one i just got rid off was kinda mean towards his inmates. He would chase them for fun. He never tried hurting them but i was tired of the harassment.

I had a lawnmower blenny once that would attack my arm and bite me anytime I stuck it in the tank. He used to leave little red marks on my arms, perhaps his bite was mildly venomous? Regardless, like many fish in the hobby, sometimes it's about getting the right one.