local aquarium builder

ohaverd

Hi all,

I've successfully kept a reef tank for almost a year now, but now I'm getting that size upgrade itch. I have a 55g in wall setup. But want to upgrade to a 90. I found one on glass cages that would fit right in the hole that my 55 is in, I believe the dimensions are 48x24x17. (call a 90 4 wide). Anyways, I am just shopping prices now before I chose to just get that one, anyone know of a custom builder in the DC area that might beat the price at glass cages?

I had a 55 reef for 2 years, upgraded to a 90 and upgraded to a 120 after 4 months.

I am satisfied with the 120. If I could do it again, I would have upgraded to a 120 straight from the 55.

If you think you can go that rout, I would seriously give it a thought.

Edited by Kingumar

If you'd consider acrylic, Adam Bowers built my tank and I'm very happy with it. adambowersva@gmail.com

If you'd consider acrylic, Adam Bowers built my tank and I'm very happy with it. adambowersva@gmail.com

So acrylic is clearer... But easily scraped? Is that right? How do you keep the coraline algae off of it?

I've also heard that the regular Mr. Clean Magic Eraser does wonders. Cleans with very little effort and no scratching. But you have to use the regular one that doesn't have any chemicals.

So acrylic is clearer... But easily scraped? Is that right? How do you keep the coraline algae off of it?

Easily scratched? I wouldn't say easy, but odds are high it will eventually. Just the nature of the beast. The only scratches I've gotten over the last several years is from coral falling over into the front......coral can be very sharp. Even those you can't see past 2' away.

Cleaning? I use a dobie pad but will likely try the Mr Clean.

Like almost everything acrylic has it's + & -

- it can scratch, but the scratches are removable

- it's far lighter, but requires a full/flat surface support

- when built correctly the seams will never fail

- it retains heat better (pro or con depending)

- for any thickness it's clearer than glass....matter?

- far higher impact resistance than glass

Glass is much easier to maintain, requires less care - you can scrape it with a razor, use a mag float, etc.

I had a 55 reef for 2 years, upgraded to a 90 and upgraded to a 120 after 4 months.

I am satisfied with the 120. If I could do it again, I would have upgraded to a 120 straight from the 55.

If you think you can go that rout, I would seriously give it a thought.

yup, that sounds like me... you've convinced me to go with a 110 - 120. I have researched and it looks like I am looking for something around 48x24x24ish.

found this guy on craiglist, anyone ever deal with him?

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2962328923.html

I am gathering quotes now, is there anyone else I should try?

yup, that sounds like me... you've convinced me to go with a 110 - 120. I have researched and it looks like I am looking for something around 48x24x24ish.

Send "der ABT" a PM. He has a 120g that he can sell. Then he can buy the 300g DD in the WTS forums. *cough*

Edited by Ryan S

<br /><br />

<br />

<br />

yup, that sounds like me... you've convinced me to go with a 110 - 120. I have researched and it looks like I am looking for something around 48x24x24ish. <br />

<br />

found this guy on craiglist, anyone ever deal with him? <br />

<a href='http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2962328923.html' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://washingtondc....2962328923.html</a><br />

<br />

I am gathering quotes now, is there anyone else I should try?<br />

<br /><br /><br />

this is Adam Bowers. A+

• 2 weeks later...

darn yuo ryan haha...actually been eyeing a 250dd as well as that peninsula tank that just got posted...

ill probably stick with the 120 but if your seriously interested let me know and maybe we can work something out...its an Oceanic tech tank 120 3 sided starfire.

i like glass for ease of maint...it can scratch too but its much harder to scratch it....

i like the 120 alot but would love a bigger tank too

The CL guy you listed is a new vendor-member here who goes by the forum handle, "ArtFully Acrylic (Adam B)." Send him a PM if you're interested.