Direct Buy from Indonesia

OldReefer

I have a feeling this is going to fall into the "just too hard" category but I have to ask.

I will be spending 21-26 May in Bali, about 3 miles from the clam and coral farm described in this Advanced Aquarist Article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/9/inverts

Is there anyway I can cherry pick stuff and have it shipped back to a local merchant for import? I don't know if anybody in the area has the appropriate permits, and if the flights to the East Coast allow a reasonable transit time. If I can fill in those blanks, I would be willing to hand-pick stuff for a group buy.

If not, I will at least send back a lot of pictures.

Any ideas?

Bill

Bill,

I think the permits would be difficult. Have you contacted the farm to see if they've done business with anyone up here?

Roni

YES>>>>>>i am in the hunt for a clam or two

Yes x2. SPS colonies for me!

Do you need anyone to carry your luggage?

x2. the more of us, the more corals we could lug back! :)

The shipping and losses from shipping direct like that will end up costing you the same as what you can pay at all the LFS. It only works out if you spend $10K or more to spread out the cost of shipping and the corals/fish that won't make it.

Bill,

You will need to get a transhipper lined up. The farm will ship it to LA where the transhipper will accept it, run it through fish and wildlife, then re-bag and re-ox it. They then transfer it to a domestic cargo flight. The clam farm probably already works with transhippers but the hard part will be to find one that wants to deal with you. Most have agreements and only deal with stores on a wholesale basis so they way want to see a business license. Good luck and enjoy the trip!!

I kinda figured those trans shippers had a valid reason to exist. Not to mention the local LFS that I know and love. It is tough to go into a candy store like that without buying anything.