need some stocking advice

BowieReefer84

Starting to plan my next tank, and really confused on what tank mates are safe...

So I have ordered a custom built 55"x22"x22" tank. Comes out to about 120 gallons.

I know I want to go fish only, but need some advice since all my previous tanks have been community friendly reef tanks.

Prelimary thoughts have me wanting a aussie tusk, picasso trigger, puffer. I do NOT want a lionfish.

I am unsure of what tank mates are suitable with each other and in a tank this size.

I would greatly appreciate any input for a cool LONG TERM stock list for a tank this size. I was thinking 2-3 larger fish and another 4-5 med.

How would YOU stock a tank like this?

I will start and let you critique:

1. aussie har tusk

2. humuhumu picasso trigger

3. dog face puffer

4. mag foxface

5. some sort of butteryfly

6. gold stripe maroon clown

7. fireball angel

8. black cap basslet

Thoughts?

Edited by BowieReefer84

Your best bet is to go to Live aquarias site and check their compatability chart. Then you should read the specs on each fish you like to make sure you have enough space for them and are able to care for their needs.

Starting to plan my next tank, and really confused on what tank mates are safe...

So I have ordered a custom built 55"x22"x22" tank. Comes out to about 120 gallons.

I know I want to go fish only, but need some advice since all my previous tanks have been community friendly reef tanks.

Prelimary thoughts have me wanting a aussie tusk, picasso trigger, puffer. I do NOT want a lionfish.

I am unsure of what tank mates are suitable with each other and in a tank this size.

I would greatly appreciate any input for a cool LONG TERM stock list for a tank this size. I was thinking 2-3 larger fish and another 4-5 med.

How would YOU stock a tank like this?

1. aussie har tusk

3. dog face puffer

4. mag foxface

5. some sort of butteryfly

6. gold stripe maroon clown

7. fireball angel

8. black cap basslet

Thoughts?

Your best bet is to go to Live aquarias site and check their compatability chart. Then you should read the specs on each fish you like to make sure you have enough space for them and are able to care for their needs.

On Live Aquaria I am fine based on tank size and temperment. All of these fish are listed as semi-aggresive. What most cocerns me is the compatability is listed as yes for some and caution for others. Also, if the total number of fish is reasonable or not. We all know you can't put 100 small fish in a tank just b/c min tank is 50 gallons...

I think the stock list is fine. The only fish I am on the edge with is the aussie tusk really. Just want some input from anyone that may have kept these types of fish.

Thanks again

Never kept a tusk, but it is my number 1 want. Ive talked to plenty of people who have kept them and they said they were actually great tank mates. They will however punish snails/crabs. I think your stocklist looks good. I have always really liked marine bettas as well, very pretty and not likely to bother anything. There also some really cool groupers like miniatus (sp?).. I love corals, but fish only gives the chance to keep some really cool fish. I dont know how well the black cap basslet will do, but you could always go with some of the nice dottyybacks, they come in some really cool colors and can certainly hold there own with larger fish.

Just do yourself a favor and dont add them all at once in the first month. :rolleyes:

3. dog face puffer

4. mag foxface

I had these 3 in the past. The puffer had an awesome personality, will easily become a favorite. The foxface was fine in a mixed reef I had. And the humu humu was a fast swimmer and super aggressive when feeding. Lots of personality on him too. I don't have experience with the rest on your list, but these 3 are fun fish to have and watch.

Yea, can't be surprised though once you know he is a Steelers fan...

I wont be coming to see your tank, to many nasty purple and black things around there.. (atleast your not a fan of them).

I have always really liked marine bettas as well, very pretty and not likely to bother anything.

I also like marine bettas too.

p-77581-marine-betta.jpg

That fish is nocturnal... I don't want a fish that will hide all day. AND it is reef safe. I am shooting for as many NON-reef safe fish as possible. If I am going fish only I want to do it right...

Keep the ideas coming though. I do appreciate the input.

I am shooting for as many NON-reef safe fish as possible. If I am going fish only I want to do it right...

lol

Can I ask why you don't want a lionfish?

I had a tusk in one of my previous tanks... AWESOME fish and great choice (though if you don't want shrimp, it is reef safe smile.gif )

The rest of your list looks fine. I am a huge fan of semilvartus butterfly fish.

Oddly missing from your list: angels?

You could grow the lion large enough to eat it :)

BTW, triggers and lionfish and also puffers and lions are not a good combo, so I think it's a good decision based on your stocking list alone.

Oddly missing from your list: angels?

Chad, thanks for the input.

I did list a fireball angel. I think they are pretty neat for dwarf angels. I am hesitant to add a "large" angel to the list with the other large fish... Plus, I have read the larger angels can be more difficult in captivity.

Mike,

A couple fish to consider:

Dragon wrasse...amazing fish and behavior

lunare wrasse...pretty, active, not aggressive

trio of dwarf angels...multicolor/flame/flameback/etc

i like semilarvatus butterflies. Mulleris are a nice fish, as are the traditional copperband

possibly a pair of boxfish (if you can get them to eat) or a few assorted tobies

fun problem to have. I'd pick out the fish you must have and then plan around them.

a lot of the parrotfish are really pretty and would make great inhabitants as well.

Isn't the Har Tush a wrasse by definition? Not sure I could have two large wrasses together?

My top fish are humuhumu picasso, dogface puffer, and the aussie har tusk.

Even though they are top fish I want they will also be added last since they are the most aggressive. In addition I will be adding the smallest ones I can find.

Isn't the Har Tush a wrasse by definition? Not sure I could have two large wrasses together?

My top fish are humuhumu picasso, dogface puffer, and the aussie har tusk.

Even though they are top fish I want they will also be added last since they are the most aggressive. In addition I will be adding the smallest ones I can find.

Yes, they are technically wrasses, very different fish though...

My experience with the tusks (my fish plus several in client tanks when I was doing maintenance) is they left anything that didn't look like food alone and everything pretty much left them alone too. I think mixing them with one of the streamlined fast swimming wrasses (bannana, lunar, paddlefin, etc.) would be OK. Sometimes the super active fast swimming fish stress out the slow movers (e.g., puffers), though.

nah man. Eels creep me out.

My husband didn't like snakes and therefore eels, until we got our snowflake. She's so spoiled and has such a great and gentle personality. She also begs, it's adorable.

Yes, they are technically wrasses, very different fish though...

My experience with the tusks (my fish plus several in client tanks when I was doing maintenance) is they left anything that didn't look like food alone and everything pretty much left them alone too. I think mixing them with one of the streamlined fast swimming wrasses (bannana, lunar, paddlefin, etc.) would be OK. Sometimes the super active fast swimming fish stress out the slow movers (e.g., puffers), though.

Yea, I want fish that will mesh well together. If the original list looks pretty safe I will likely use that as a starting point.

I purposely left off tangs. I want hardy fish to set this tank up easy. I want a tank I can enjoy looking at with minimal maint.

Do tusks need a sand bed? Was planning on bare bottom...

Actually not sure on that one... I always had large grained (reef select size) sand in all my tanks and all the maintenance tanks. He didn't go into the sand at night, but not sure if needed... I kind of doubt it.

Honestly, when I looked at your list, I thought any problems that come up would be caused be either the clown or the basslet... both tend to be pugnacious little guys. With mostly larger fish that can hold their own like what you have on your list, I think it looks fine.