12g Finally started!

smallreef

So after getting my house semi-completed and starting a new job I FINALLY got my tank cleaned and salt water put in it last night to mix...

I'm hoping to get my sand in this morning before I head into work and get some rock next week.. though we"ll see with that as I didn't realize how EXPENSIVE it is out here, lol

And if someone can tell me how to upload my photos from photobucket? wont let the HTML code keep the link???

Edited by smallreef

Starting.jpg

Empty.jpg

started.jpg

Im planning on some LPS and a possum wrasse and maybe either a barnacle blenny or tailspot blenny because Im going to put some empty barnacles close to the front...

Im really having a hard time deciding which fish because there are sooooo many Id like to have but only 2 or 3 I can have, lol

My one definite is a possum wrasse..

then either the barnacle or tailspot blenny

maybe a rainfords goby (something to actually swim around)

and lastly, possibly a clown goby but I'm still on the fence since I want some LPS and dont want a tissue issue with it perching on them..

I think Im going to head out to BRK this coming week/weekend when I have some time off and pick up some rock and test kits and such to start the actual cycling..

I did get most of my sand put in yesterday,,,, still kinda hazy but its getting there

yeah those are cute too! they are a type of clown goby though right? Im not sure if I would do the panda or a citron just to have some different colors than the other fish...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went up to Marine Scene yesterday and got a FEW things :)

firstly their used 50g ... which I will be setting up in a few months as I buy the parts to make it work... but for now

the 12g ...

I got 2 barnacle blennies (whom love the pukani rock and all its holes!)

an orange lined cardinal... who is bright and shiny (gonna have to get 4 more when I get the big tank set up!!!)

and a possum wrasse who is still hiding though I havent fed them yet this morning :)

pictures to come as the fish come out of hiding :)

can't wait till my next paycheck.. though I had an extra one this week but no :(

I have three barnacle blennies from Marine Scene - LOVE those fish! And I'm so jealous of the possum wrasse - those are great in a small tank (darn it, I knew I should have stopped by MS when I was out that way yesterday :tongue: ). Can't wait to see pics of everybody in the tank!

fed this morning and EVERYONE came out.. fed tonight and the same! I even turned on my day/actinic to feed and then take some pictures... here we go!

possumwrasse1.jpg

orangelined1.jpg

barnacleblenny2.jpg

barnacleblenny1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

well within the last 4 days all of my fish have died :(

well, I wont say died... it looked like the hermits grabbed one of the barnacle blennies.. the other just went missing... the possum wrasse didnt come out to eat for 3 days before I saw him being eaten by the crabs... and I havent found the orange lined cardinal yet today though he had a bit of ich on him last night when I fed him...

Im having a few issues...

#1 my heaters and thermometer are WAY off... I have them set for 77... they seem to flucuate from 79-85... and my therm isnt reading right... it seems off..

#2 there is WAY to much chlorine in the tap water... I have a feeling this had an adverse effect on the fish also.. though my kenya trees are doing fine... ( am ordering an RODI before I set up the larger tank)

#3 my salinity is constantly low... and no matter how I try to bring it up it doesnt make a big enough difference... I am using a hydrometer and I have only been trying to raise it .01 every other day but when I add the salt in my mixing tub is has a sulfury smell (I think its from the chlorine some how?)

I am so sorry! I have the same problems with heaters and thermometers with the small tanks, and I think you'll be happy you bought the RODI. Think of this as an opportunity to do what you need to do to correct the sallinity. Funny, though - I've had some pretty drastic swings in salinity and it's never affected the fish. How do the rest of your parameters look? Anything else "off" that you can see with the tank?

I'm really sorry for your losses. If you live in fairfax make sure you get a carbon filter for the chloramine in the water. Fairfax has really high chloramine. I can spare 12 gallons of water. You can also purchase water from LFS. Once you have your tank full of water again you only need to do a 10% water change. So until you get your RO/DI I can give you water. Just let me know. I'm in Falls Church. I can also check your calibration on the hydrometer. Your fish were beautiful. I'm really sorry.

Thanks yall... the biggest issue I think was the chlorine/chloramine in the water.. all my other parameters were 0 or close to it (like my nitrate after my 2nd fish died... though the hermits did a GREAT job of getting that back to 0 within 2 days) the other issue I think is that when I would go to mix salt it would have a sulfur'y smell so I think that has something to do with it too

Being so far away from all the LFS down here in Woodbridge and working 1-9pm most days keeps me from getting to them to buy water, thats why I need to just get an RODI myself....especially for filling up the 50g here in the next month once I get the plumbing and stand done...

and my heaters are about 10 years old so I really should have replaced them before re-setting up the nano but I figured "hey they are working" and well now they arent working right...

• 1 month later...

Well the 50g will be up and running tomorrow and should be done cycling in a few days as I have been cycling the rock for the last 3 weeks.. BUT as for now... my one clown fish has been acting weird.. or maybe its just wierd to me???

crazyclown.jpg

he literally LAYS with his mouth one one of the rics??? for like a 30 seconds he will lay without swimming an put his mouth all over the bottom of one of them??

My only thought is that there is alot less flow in the tupperware (which is why they are in there, they wouldnt settle down anywhere)

??????????

• 3 months later...