Does my tank need treated

NYfan78

(edited)

Hey all well as i stated in my other post my 2 oc clowns had it looked like flat worms and something else (body coloring was cloudy) and they both have died since. They both looked like this after bringing them home. They looked ok at the store. Do i need to treat my tank before buying new fish????

Edited by NYfan78

Also was told to do a freshwater dip on all new fish. anyone ?

I wouldn't do a freshwater dip unless they need it, just quarantine new fish and treat as necessary. Might be a good idea to let your display go without fish for awhile, though I have no experience with what your fish died of and therefore I'm not sure if it would help.

Do i need to treat my tank before buying new fish????

If your tank is fishless now then I would let it go fishless for almost two months to make sure what is in there dies with no host. I know it is a long time but it may be the only way to make sure the tank is clean.

So how will i know if the tank is safe? Anything else i can do besides wait forever?

60 days I think is the longest living strain of ick (can't remember and it's late, dont quote me-seems like it should be longer the more i think about it but 2 months and you should be fine) adding stuff other than fish may reset this timer as well. Then test with a sacrifice, possibly one with a guarantee... though really you should get a qt set up, may save lots of heartache later imo.

It was definitely not ick, it was either brook or velvet. Not sure how long he should go fishless, though.

On a side note, he had 108 volts in the water from a bad skimmer pump. Do you think that could have stressed the fish? I know it won't kill them unless they are grounded, but it may have made them less immune to disease. His peppermint shrimp seem to be fine and there are no other fish in there.

I'm surprised there wasn't anything else appearing stressed. I had 21v and my fish showed signs of stress, and I got shocked. I think it could have added to the problem, or at least stressed the fish some.

Project Phoenix in progress

Well made the decision to play it safe and not get any new fish today as much as i wanted to and just wait for the vlevet to die off.

If your tank is fishless now then I would let it go fishless for almost two months to make sure what is in there dies with no host. I know it is a long time but it may be the only way to make sure the tank is clean.

That is the name of the game with saltwater tanks! Waiting....

FYI http://www.wetwebmed...nfshdisfaq3.htm

http://reefaquariumt...-illnesses.html

http://www.liveaquar...icle.cfm?aid=84

Part of keeping these beauties involves knowing the signs and symptoms of various diseases and how they appear. the only way to know this is to read about them. Look at as many pictures as possible so that you can spot a problem before you even purchase a fish. Ask your LFS what methods of QT and treatment they use. How long the fish has been in QT, if they QT and how long they've had the fish in stock. Fish should appear active, have good color and be eager to eat. If the fish doesn't look or act right, it probably isn't.

After purchasing from a LFS that does not QT you should put the fish in QT and observe for the same; how is it eating? Is it hiding a lot? Labored breathing? any spots; black or white. Stringy white poop, labored breathing, etc.

Edited by Jan