kalk stirrer

STEVE

OK...I know I'm probably opening up a "mine is better than yours" topic, but I'm only trying to see what brand folks are using for kalk stirrers?

I just bought a used Deltec KM500 for my upcoming upgrade. Haven't used it yet, but i have heard great things about it.

I have a Deltec KM500, cost $500 new, have had it for years and it is a great kalkstirrer. If I had it to do again right now I'd buy one of the Avast Marine ones. The motor went out on mine a few years ago and I had to take it to Richmond to the deltec rep to get a new motor, cost near $100 plus gas and time. Dan is right in Alexandria so if the motor goes out he's close by and a new motor for his is only $25, and you can get the K1 Kalkstirrer kit for $139

Looks like from the ones I have spoken to and these post, AVAST is leading the pack. I will start calling around LFS to see what they have in stock.

I have a Deltec KM500 also. It predates Avast's entry here. When the Deltec's motor started giving me a little trouble, a drop or two of machine oil on the motor's shaft fixed it up. It's been running reliably for years.

I ran a Deltec KM500s for years without issue and, although it still runs, recently upgraded to a KM800 (which I also love) as my Kalk output was too much for the 500s. No experience with Avast, but if they are stirrers (and not pump mixers), would go with them. Would stay away from the pump mixers (like Geo) as the pump failure rate is very high with these and they have a higher risk of adding kalk slurry to the tank.