sad morning....

hlem

Last night I heard a grinding noise in the tank... went to check and was obvious one of my clown was missing, the male... they never leave each other, especially night time...

well... found the him this morning... on the sand bed... the last 1/3 of his body was most likely came too close with the MP pump... so so sad... i dont know if he'll make it or not, he's still alive, fins still moving. i've moved him into a holding container along with the female to keep him comforting... she's tried to move him around a couple of times...

Anything I can do to help save him or is he a goner?

IMG_3973.JPG

Oh no...sorry to hear. which clown? I know you have couple pair of clowns.

the semi-picasso in the main tank... =( my oldest pair, almost 2 years together now... =(

Do you have any QT or hospital tank for him? My QT tank is open now if you need.

not really a QT, but he's in a smaller container in my frag tank, so nothing is bothering him... the female is also with him, hopefully she being there will help him... but dont really know what to do...

Edited by hlem

not really a QT, but he's in a smaller container in my frag tank, so nothing is bothering him... the female is also with him, hopefully she being there will help him... but dont really know what to do...

Ha just let me know if need help with anything.

Is it's tail completely gone? Can he swim at all? I don't know if fish can survive without a tail. I'm sorry. He looks very bad. Try not to let it suffer too long.,

Last night I heard a grinding noise in the tank... went to check and was obvious one of my clown was missing, the male... they never leave each other, especially night time...

well... found the him this morning... on the sand bed... the last 1/3 of his body was most likely came too close with the MP pump... so so sad... i dont know if he'll make it or not, he's still alive, fins still moving. i've moved him into a holding container along with the female to keep him comforting... she's tried to move him around a couple of times...

Anything I can do to help save him or is he a goner?

IMG_3973.JPG

tail is not completely gone. just the upper part of the back/tail section is gone. not sure if i see bone or not. i've dipped him in iodine already, so hopefully there wont be any infections. he's still breathing and moving his fins... =( the female is now not eating, i'm sure she's very sad... =(

I don't know if fish can grow back that much tail. I've seen where part was left from injury or fin rot and it grew back but not part of the tail body. See if it will eat. if it eats it has a good chance of survival, I think.

here is a clearer picture, pretty much all of the upper orange part of the tail end is missing...

IMG_0033%5B1%5D.JPG

If it is just tail damage, he may make it. If internal organs got crushed by the vortech, then he is a goner. I have only seen one fish pulled itself off an mp40, that was a longnose hawkfish, they are powerful swimmers!!!

I had a 1" hippo that was stuck in a power head inlet for a day before in a qt before I realized it. He was bent in 1/2 with a hole in the side and just swam in circles for a few days before he straightened out. He lived through that. I hope you find it encouraging.

Maybe turn the lights way down so he can sleep and rest? Seems like you have done everything you can at this point.

I had a 1" hippo that was stuck in a power head inlet for a day before in a qt before I realized it. He was bent in 1/2 with a hole in the side and just swam in circles for a few days before he straightened out. He lived through that. I hope you find it encouraging.

Maybe turn the lights way down so he can sleep and rest? Seems like you have done everything you can at this point.

thanks Steve,

It's a lot worse than the picture shows. He's dead... He was actually almost cut in half, the tail part that is shown in the pictures are actually just left over skin... no bone or nothing...

He's now plant food... =(

Thanks all.

Not sure why he got sucked in. He is usually fine near it. He was plenty strong to get away from the pull for the last 2-3 months. The pair literally have been sleeping 6 inches from the pump. Not sure what I can do to prevent it from happening again.

I'm not looking to replace him just yet.