Question for Radium 20K users

jamesbuf

Looking to go back to metal halides over my 60gal cube. What ballast is best for this bulb? Was going to get an icecap or Coralvue electronic ballast, but I read that HQI are supposedly better. Why is this?

Also, where is the best place to buy them? The prices have definitely gone up the last few years since I had to buy MH bulbs. They are $90 for the 250watt bulb on premiumaquatics!! Crazy!!!

For a 250w Radium, it would be ideal to run it on an M80 ballast. The M80 runs it at about 270 Watts. I've also heard good things about the Lumatek Select-A-Watt ballasts as these have an HQI setting. From what I read, underdriving the Radiums shortens its lifespan.

James, you can't get the radium in a 250W DE HQI, can you? I thought they were only available at 150 and 400 in the double ended lamps. If you want to go 250, you're going to be looking at a mogul, I think.

The HQI ballasts overdrive the bulbs and result in better growth but from what I understand lesser lifespan of the bulb itself. I run the Radium 20Ks on my tank now that the Helios bulbs are no longer made and run them on HQI ballasts from PFO. I have also heard that the Galaxy ballasts from Sunlight Supply run them very well (they are electric and run them at a somewhat lesser cost) but that they don't overdrive them quite as well. I can't vouch for this, though.

Last time I bought the Radiums I bought them from Sean at F&F and despite the fact that the bulbs were priced out at around $90 we did a group buy for far less than that. If you're going long term you might as well buy a few!

Look for some threads about radiums by paulerik on rc. He explains it the best. For the 250Ws get an m80 magnetic ballast. I have always used blue wave 3 or 7s. Get a used blue wave 3 and put the radium in a lumenbright large. I am running this on a 70 cube... You'll be pleased.

Look for some threads about radiums by paulerik on rc. He explains it the best. For the 250Ws get an m80 magnetic ballast. I have always used blue wave 3 or 7s. Get a used blue wave 3 and put the radium in a lumenbright large. I am running this on a 70 cube... You'll be pleased.

James,

If you get my pendant, I can give you some 250W Radiums with minimal burn (few months, under a year) as well as an awesome $15 bulb that I actually liked better. I ran the radiums with iceap electronics.

Ah, and if you're determined to use a DE lamp, I still have your two pendants and the two 250W icecaps in the Hamilton enclosure that I'm no longer using....

From what I read, underdriving the Radiums shortens its lifespan.

The HQI ballasts overdrive the bulbs and result in better growth but from what I understand lesser lifespan of the bulb itself.

Ok, now my head hurts. Apparently there are two modes of thinking on this, and with the bulbs as expensive as they are, I certainly don't want to shorten the lifespan. I'm running a Raduim 400w on an Icecap ballast and it gives nice color.....I just want to make sure that it is the best ballast for the bulb.