ATO hook up

NYfan78

Hey I am looking into buying the ATO and wondering how hard they are to hook up. Its going on a Red Sea MAx 34 gallon set up. Any advice or help would be great.

Hey I am looking into buying the ATO and wondering how hard they are to hook up. Its going on a Red Sea MAx 34 gallon set up. Any advice or help would be great.

Easy.

I just ordered one to raffle off a this Saturday's meeting. If you come by, you'll be able to see it. I own two already.

There's a water level sensor that goes in the tank. It has an air-line that goes to the outlet box that is plugged into the wall. The device that you want to connect to power is plugged into that outlet box. When the water level falls below the sensor, the outlet box switches power to the device (in this case, it's a pump). The pump is powered and fresh water is pumped into your tank. The sensor monitors the rising water level in the tank. When the water level reaches the sensor, the pump shuts off. Very straightforward.

Yes, all tubing is provided. If you have a really long distance between the outlet and the tank, though, you may need longer tubing. Most people don't have this situation.

SO ALL THE TUBING IS INCLUDING.

all the tubing for the actual unit is, but you need tubing from the pump you provide to get the water into the tank.

I AM BUYING A MAXIJET 900, 2 OF THEM FOR A GOOD DEAL. ONE FOR THE ATO system and the other as a back up/mixing salt.

Wouldn't a maxijet 900 dump a lot of water very quickly?

No, he's got a 4.5 foot head pressure to overcome. Plus, if he necks the pump down to 1/4-inch tubing to the tank, the flow is perfect. I used to run a 900 on the setup before selling it to him.

Being this is my very first salt tank, Tom has been a godsend helping me out with everyrhing. Very much appreciated!!

Hey, you couldn't have asked for a better guardian angel, let me tell you that! Apart from Tom, we are always here to help if you have any questions.

Geez. Aren't we a little off topic now?

See. He is so mean to me. :blast:

Fine... I concur with everyone above. Easy to install and easy to use. I've been researching ATO's lately, like the Tunze, the Avast, and the JBJ, and the consensus is the Avast is really the best one. It's easy to setup, the least likely to fail, and it looks awesome as well. I was looking at the BRS ATO pump or the Tom's Aqua Lifter myself. I think either would work fine. The maxijet would also work fine, as Tom has already suggested.

Thanks for the feedback and tech support, guys!

I recommend the peristaltic pump over the aqualifter, as it is generally more reliable and consistent. The aqualifter is inexpensive though, hard to beat that. Both will work, but the aqualifter's lifespan is only about 2 years on average, IME. Aqualifter only has about a 30" working head pressure capability, while the peri pump is usually good up to 10' or so. Personally, I use peri pumps with all three of my ATOs.

Justin

In addition to Justin's post, if your ATO water is a grater volume than your SUMP water (or SUMP chamber water volume), The aqualifter back siphons without some modifications. I use an aqualifter pump and I experienced a nasty overflow because of that.

It is an easy fix but still, not as reliable IMO.

Yes, that is true too. Same goes for any small powerhead that is in a reservoir located higher than the sump water level. With a peristaltic pump, you can put the reservoir pretty much anywhere.

Peristaltic's are good but can be pricey. They can also be noisy, in my opinion. I wouldn't recommend going with an aqualifter for reliability reasons. However, you can buy a kit to rebuild the seals which are normally what goes on them (they're actually very simple devices and the rebuild kit is pretty cheap). Anyway, a good mid-point for NYFan's application is a Maxijet. No siphoning issues with either as long as you don't submerge the ATO line in the tank.