Talk to me about Flame Angels

mindeeo

^^^+1

I have had mine for over a year. He nips but it is never a constant thing or the same coral.

I also have a Nox angel, I have never seen him nip at anyhting. Almost the exact opposite from the flame in regard to color but still a stunning fish.

I've got the flame angel for 1 month and he is awesome. I got RBTA, Torch, Shrooms, Xenia, Various Acros and Monti, he nipped at the acro polyps several time but never likes it and stop ever since. Now he swim around picking on LR and eating HA. He is really active and has great personality. I will try Emperor Angel next week, and hope i got the same luck (finger crossed).

Hmmmm, I better stick with fish batting over 500 at this point. Too bad, they are so pretty. What are colorful fish that are reef safe and live in my 95 gallon tank? (Besides Nemo- he moved in last week making my kids so happy!)

Hmmmm, I better stick with fish batting over 500 at this point.

You'll end up with an empty tank! :biggrin:

Go here and check out the variety of fish. If you see a fish you like, look at the details and determine if your setup will support that fish. I would start in the beginner section.

Great that you asked first!

Good luck with your fish selections.

Edited by onux20

Have had 2 flames, neither was a problem. However, there are other dwarfs that tend to be taste more. According to Copps, the polyp extension we get in our aquariums is greater then would be expected in the wild. It all comes down to what matters to you more. If you're a fish person who likes corals as well, then it's worth the risk. If your corals are your primary joy, don't take a risk with any angel or butterfly. Also, in general SPS and rics are fine, LPS are variable, zoos are usually eaten. However, I've got a regal, flame, cherub, bellus angel and 2 filefish and no one has picked on any corals to the extent that I've noted losses or lost polyp extension. It may also depend on how much you feed, as my tank get continuously fed a lot.

Other fish that would be great in a 95 and add a lot of color:

bicolor pseudochromis

six line wrasse

flame hawk

yellow tang

green chromis

I have had a flame angel for years without issue. I saw him peck at an SPS once but that has been it. He has always been around zoos, SPS and Lps.

I have also kept a coral beauty, an emperor, and a grey poma angel and none of them have bothered any zoas SPS or Lps. I suspect that what you feed has some impact one it but I have no proof. I feed a home made frozen mash once a day and black worms sometimes at night when I have them. My tanks have a lot of sponge growth too. My frozen food contains raw table shrimp, mysis, cyclopeeze, usually a white ocean fish, scallops, fish eggs, lots of nori from the Asian market, selcon, lemon juice, garlic, and whatever else I want to experiment with at the time.

There is a thread on reef central somewhere that has a spreadsheet containing a poll of reef central members that lists all of the angels they have kept and how they did with corals.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.462593,-76.952332