Dirt? in my sump.

Rosco's Reefs

I am planning a water change soon and as I sit here looking at my sump I see a thin layer of what looks like dirt in the bottom of the sump. First I thought I would just stir it up into solution in the water to be removed and then pull it out with the water. Then I began wondering if that ?dirt? was serving any kind of biological function.

Seeking advice and opinions. Thx in advance.

my sump for the most part is bare bottom just for this reason a quick vacume every other day at the most 1 gallon and all gone I have found that it is so easy and my tank looks alot cleaner since i started the bare bottom sump

• 1 month later...

It's all future nitrates and phosphorous if you leave it in there.

Silly question I'm sure, but since your sump is beneath the tank, how do you effectively vacume the detritus on the bottom of the sump, considering the the sump is on the floor and I am unable to siphon since it sits too low?

Silly question I'm sure, but since your sump is beneath the tank, how do you effectively vacume the detritus on the bottom of the sump, considering the the sump is on the floor and I am unable to siphon since it sits too low?

stir it up and pump it out. easy.