Just a thought - RO/DI

eddi

My water pressure is not very strong, so my good/discard ratio is probably 6 or 7 to 1, so I am always trying to come up with ways to improve. I save about 15 gallons in a sink that I use for my fresh water tank, but the rest of the water is wasted.

I tapped into my main water line; I have a 1" pipe that then I reduce into my RO/DI; what if I plumb the discard line back into my input pipe? Any chance that would work, or would the pressure cause a problem?

Administrator - I posted this in the wrong forum. Please move, thanks.

Edited by eddi

I have opened the regulator all the way and I was trying to avoid buying yet another pump. What do you mean by back pressure?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Back pressure is the the pressure coming from where you plumb the discard back. Imagine you took a simple, straight piece of pipe and connected both ends to the same line. No reason for the water to go roughy that pipe.

Booster pump is the way to go. I had the same problem. A 150gpd membrane but only 30gpd production with higher than desired tds. Booster pump now makes clean water fast.

Topic moved.

RO membranes require a pressure differential to work. Just like Dave said, if you plumb the drain into the source line, both lines will be at the same pressure and the membrane won't be able to do it's work. If you've adjusted your whole house pressure regulator upward, and you're still not getting enough pressure, then a booster pump is probably your best option.

You could use your excess water for outdoor stuff...are you close enough to plumb a runoff hose to maybe a water drum outside for plant water? Do you have a rain barrel that you could run a hose to?

Before you invest in a pump, try a different flow restrictor for $4.

Russ

this doesn't work in the way that you are thinking- it will only make smaller membranes like 25 gpd produce more water- it doesn't make bigger membranes produce more.