How else can I hang my lights?

Jan

My lights came with a hanging kit. My husband was able to get one side on but he met with a lot of resistance on the other side. He's certain that he's drilling onto a pipe from the upstairs bathroom. Short of tearing down the ceiling we really wont know. It's not worth taking a chance. So no more drilling. I can't hang my lights using this kit, whcih stinks. How else can I elevate the lights? The unit has legs but they're short. It's not easy to work in the tank with only 4" of room from light to top of tank. Does anyone have a creative alternative or suggestion on how to hang these lights?

Not sure about your specific situation, but I ran into what sounds like a similar issue with what I think was the HVAC system trying to hang my lights...

I ended up hanging from the wall using bookshelf brackets mounted upside-down. I chose a decorative wrought iron bracket that I think looks nice... Will see if I can find a picture of it.

+1 on what chad said. Ive done that as well.. You could also get a light tree hanging system. You can buy them or make them. I am very happy with my light tree, but I dont know what brand it is.

I just went through my gallery, I don't have a picture that does a decent job of showing it.

I had another thought, though... you could get a piece of decorative wood and screw that to the studs then hang the lights off the wood.

Assuming you have smooth ceilings get a piece of plywood cut to the same dimensions as your tank. Screw that directly above the tank where you have joists. Attach your hanging kit to that. Some use the same method when hanging a TV on the wall where studs do not line up.

Just another option.

... you could get a piece of decorative wood and screw that to the studs then hang the lights off the wood.

This works realy well and looks nice. It doesn't even have to be "decorative". Just a piece of 1x4 painted to match the ceiling works. Plus, it blends in and no one will even notice it.

How do we know what's a stud and whats a pipe? We have one of those stud finder thingys:tongue:. Does it know the difference between stud and pipe?

Well, I always take small finishing nails to find the edges of a stud to ensure I get the CENTER when screwing into it. Once you find the first one you should be able to find the others b/c they should be spaced 12, 16, or 24 on center... Just need to find which way the first one runs, and it is not bad at all.

all_done.jpg

This is ugly to me.

I'd need access to the back of the stand for this one. No can do. Not enough room to mess around back there.

000_0061.jpg

Edited by Jan

I like this.

Hubby is a great computer guy, a network engineer, with very little carpenter skills. He can't cut wood to save his life. His measurements are always off even though he still trys. I've got to really encourage him and make it easy for him to want to take on the task of putting wood on the ceiling so he can attach the hardware for the light. He would go with the poles and find a way to make them work before he had to measure and cut wood and then apply and paint it and attach the hanging hardware.

Yea, I am not a fan of the conduit.

Hang from ceiling, and use a product like this http://www.crutchfie...em.html?tp=1290 to keep the wires in check down the wall. Paint it to match the wall, and it has a professional look. Lowes sells similar products...

Edited by Jan

I like the idea of using hangers; flower pot, boxing bag or bookshelf. Then painting them to match the wall. The task is going to be finding the right length; from wall to center of tank.

^I just took a walk through the HD and found something that would work and that I liked.

There shouldnt be any pipes that close to the drywall "typically". If you find one floor joist the rest should fall in line every 16" on center also the joist's run usually from front to back in the direction. You can remove the light fixture to find the joist too the electric box is usually mounted to one.

God Luck

Lowes and HD will cut wood for you for free, so you can make sure its right. Thats what I do, I am not even close to being a good carpenter.

If you want multiple pieces of exact matching dimensions, you will probably not get them. I have had this problem at both of these chain stores, for 2x4s and plywood. Sometimes plywood comes out with one edge longer than the other (a guy re-cut mine twice and gave up, saying it was the equipment). One store had a sign posted saying that they will not cut exact dimensions. I wish they would let me do the cutting myself.

I have good carpentry skills, but im not out there yet...

SO what did you end up doing?

and IANGIBBY yes there are pipes about 1/2 inch from the drywall in ceilings if you only have a 9 foot ceiling, especially in condos.. and my floor joists run left to right, lol

depends on it its a single family home or attached townhouse/condo and who the home builder was

Stud finders work great as long as there werent lazy builders and plumbers because YES , all it does is find a solid piece in the wall, it doesnt detect whether it is wood or plumbing

Our single family home was built in the late 50's. This is a family room/basement. Even though we have a basement too, since this room is half in the ground it's considered a basement. Ceilings are about 9 feet.

Haven't done anything yet. I will be looking at two things; applying a piece of wood and hanging from ceiling or hanging from wall using brackets.

Thanks for the reply regarding the stud finders. I thought the same thing but had to ask.

I have good carpentry skills, but im not out there yet...

SO what did you end up doing?

and IANGIBBY yes there are pipes about 1/2 inch from the drywall in ceilings if you only have a 9 foot ceiling, especially in condos.. and my floor joists run left to right, lol

depends on it its a single family home or attached townhouse/condo and who the home builder was

Stud finders work great as long as there werent lazy builders and plumbers because YES , all it does is find a solid piece in the wall, it doesnt detect whether it is wood or plumbing

Edited by Jan

Buy one of these from zero edge tanks (this is the same one that Travis purchased from me).....they look nice and they have a base that sits on the ground so they don't have to hold too much weight. The brace attached to the wall below your tank so you don't see it....

cheers,

Darren

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

I really like this. The problem is getting behind the tank. No can do! We may be able to drill from inside....hmmm. thanks!

Buy one of these from zero edge tanks (this is the same one that Travis purchased from me).....they look nice and they have a base that sits on the ground so they don't have to hold too much weight. The brace attached to the wall below your tank so you don't see it....

cheers,

Darren

DSC01786.jpg

DSC01660.jpg

I know I'm kind of new on here, but I've had all kinds of tanks for years. I would be more than happy to come over and hang this thing for you guys. This would be easy for me if you guys would like some help.