Calcium at 600 via Hannah meter

epleeds

So I ran out of my sallifert test kit a while ago. I decided to try the hannah meter. The first test came at 600. Other than water changes, should I do anything else?

Verify that it is accurate.

The hannah meters have a tendency to read high. You can read about it in their reviews, so before you do anything verify your test is accurate.

What's your alk level? If you trust the reading, then discontinue dosing any supplement that adds calcium and, instead, dose an alkalinity additive to maintain levels while you let the calcium level drift down to where you want it. However, definitely verify your test results first.

What's your alk level? If you trust the reading, then discontinue dosing any supplement that adds calcium and, instead, dose an alkalinity additive to maintain levels while you let the calcium level drift down to where you want it. However, definitely verify your test results first.

I was wondering the same thing.

Unfortunately, while I have a Hanna calcium meter, I've yet to use it. Since we moved in July, my tank's pretty much been in maintenance mode as I've finished a basement around it.

This is a known problem with the hannah calcium meter. First, verify that you are adding .1ml of sample and not 1ml of sample. The syringe include is really too large for the resolution needed to accurately add .1ml, so some insulin syringes from the drug store will help considerably, just watch out for the needle. Hanna claims they have tried to source a smaller syringe, but can find nothing under 1ml without a needle and they can't include a syringe with needle in the kit. The other problem is with our RODI water. Hanna believes that it may have more mineral content than we believe and this may be skewing the results. This can be verified by using lab grade DI water. I have not been able to find lab grade DI locally to me and most distilled water still lists a small mineral content, but I was able to find some that shows no mineral content. I rinse everything in the distilled water before I start the test, use the distilled water for the test and also use the insulin syringe and my results now appear to be accurate.

Give me a frag of each coral you have....then retest and forget you gave them to me...

Pretty sure i still have some salifert CA test left if you want to try it out/bring some water over, i know my wife will be in manassas on tuesday afternoon.

Great. $50 for a test kit that doesn't work correctly. Joy.

I guess I will try to borrow someone else's test kit who is local around here.

Hanna claims they have tried to source a smaller syringe, but can find nothing under 1ml without a needle and they can't include a syringe with needle in the kit.

Bulltinky. The Salifert kits I used to have, came with a 2ml capacity syringe that is divided in 1/10th mm lines. I have used it for dosing vodka and sometimes use it for target feeding phyto or microvert.

Bulltinky. The Salifert kits I used to have, came with a 2ml capacity syringe that is divided in 1/10th mm lines. I have used it for dosing vodka and sometimes use it for target feeding phyto or microvert.

Yes, the 1 ml syringe included has .1ml marks on it, but the marks are so small and close together that it is very difficult to add exactly .1ml. It just does not have the resolution required to be as precise as you need to be for an accurate test. The .3 or .5 ml insulin syringe have quite a bit more resolution.