Mixing tangs

SunWyrm

I see tangs together all the time, but look on la and other sites that they are aggressive towards each other. My husband has a new found love for tangs. We have an orange shoulder and future plans include an achilles. I wanted to run our wish list by you guys and see what you thought and what some personal experiences were with mixing your tangs. What order/size should we add them and which ones should we steer clear from?

Tank specs already:

360g

clown pair, firefish-2, chromis school, flasher wrasse-1(3 soon), pearly jawfish-(2 soon), lawnmowers-2, falco hawkfish-2, coral beauties-2, rabbitfish-2, cleaner wrasse-3, orange shoulder tang-1

Eventually want an achilles, but as far as the rest of our wants, here's the list of what we like - not all are definite.

Powder brown

blonde naso tang

desjardini

lieutenant tang

really almost all of them, so if you have any tips that'd be great.

You can have multiple tangs, but they have to be from different families. Like dont put two sailfins in a tank; but a sailfin and a Naso will be fine.

Just remember certain tangs are very agressive; sohals and clown tangs are extremly agressive and sailfin tangs can be quite agressive as well.

I see tangs together all the time, but look on la and other sites that they are aggressive towards each other. My husband has a new found love for tangs. We have an orange shoulder and future plans include an achilles. I wanted to run our wish list by you guys and see what you thought and what some personal experiences were with mixing your tangs. What order/size should we add them and which ones should we steer clear from?

Tank specs already:

360g

clown pair, firefish-2, chromis school, flasher wrasse-1(3 soon), pearly jawfish-(2 soon), lawnmowers-2, falco hawkfish-2, coral beauties-2, rabbitfish-2, cleaner wrasse-3, orange shoulder tang-1

Eventually want an achilles, but as far as the rest of our wants, here's the list of what we like - not all are definite.

Powder brown

blonde naso tang

desjardini

lieutenant tang

really almost all of them, so if you have any tips that'd be great.

Probably wouldn't add the powder brown if you're set on the Achilles (both Acanthurus sp.). Same with the lieutenant tang. I also think that given that you've already got an orange shoulder, I'd stick to just one more conspecific at most. I like the Zebrasoma family though some people find them too common.

What about something from the Ctenochaetus family (kole, tonimi, chevron)?

You've got a big tank (at 350 gallons) that can accommodate, in my opinion, multiple tangs - even from the same family. You may need to adjust some rock work to allow swimming room and cover for a newly introduced tang, but I think that you'll be fine. I have a 210 that houses 4 medium sized tangs - a yellow, a powder brown, and a sailfin (all in the same family), and a powder blue. They get along just fine, although the yellow made clear to them early on that he was there first. I find it easiest to add new fish in the evening just as the lights go out and the fish settle down. By morning, when the lights go on, they seem to be on their better behavior.

you will find that an achilles should be one of those fish left in the ocean. They don't typically do well in our tanks. You may see a few stories of them lasting a year. I would suggest a powerder blue instead.

An Achilles could be OK in that sized tank. I'm aware of several that lasted a long time in large 8' tanks.

If you decide you want to add a yellow to the mix, I have a nice one available.

You've got a big tank (at 350 gallons) that can accommodate, in my opinion, multiple tangs - even from the same family. You may need to adjust some rock work to allow swimming room and cover for a newly introduced tang, but I think that you'll be fine. I have a 210 that houses 4 medium sized tangs - a yellow, a powder brown, and a sailfin (all in the same family), and a powder blue. They get along just fine, although the yellow made clear to them early on that he was there first. I find it easiest to add new fish in the evening just as the lights go out and the fish settle down. By morning, when the lights go on, they seem to be on their better behavior.

You are able to have a yellow w/ a sailfin? I would love to add a yellow, but I dont think my sailfin (5" desjardini) would ever allow that to happen. He is an a-hole.

Edited by MBVette

I have a hippo, yellow, brown, yellow kole eye and sailfin all in my 156. They are all well over 5", all except the brown which is about 3.5". They all get along well except for the yellow tang who bullies everyone a little. Oh and I got the brown one at BRK. Also had a yellow eye kole from BRK that I lost to velvet some months back. It was gorgeous and very healthy up until it contracted velvet....just sayin.

Its generally not recommended unless you have a big tank. That said, many try and it does work out sometimes.

I've had a desjardini with other zebrasoma tangs in the past without incident. I'll have another one in with a purple and yellow very soon.

Those of you who have these mixes with no issues, was there an order that you added them in? Or do you think it matters?

Another thing to consider, I love pairing things in my tanks. I've seen some naso trios and other small schools of tangs. I just have no idea on how to go about this with tangs. Are there any that I can keep happy within these kinds of relationships?

I like to think that I have a "big" tank at 8x3x2 or at least a nice size to keep them happy. The total system volume will be 500g plus with my 180 plumbed into the system also. What is a long time for achilles? I don't want to get one only to see it waste a way and not live to happy old age in my tank. I'm doing a foam rock wall and trying to aquascape to make enough swimming space for large fish but adequate territories and hiding spaces for everyone.... Speaking of I need to go update my build thread...

I have a hippo, yellow, brown, yellow kole eye and sailfin all in my 156. They are all well over 5", all except the brown which is about 3.5". They all get along well except for the yellow tang who bullies everyone a little. Oh and I got the brown one at BRK. Also had a yellow eye kole from BRK that I lost to velvet some months back. It was gorgeous and very healthy up until it contracted velvet....just sayin.

Hmmm seems like it is not that uncommon, wonder if I could add a nice yellow into my tank. I currently have a Sailfin, Naso, & Hippo in my 220; what would be the best way to try and introduce a yellow?

I have and added in this order desjardin, yellow eye kole, blonde naso and a yellow. Also when I got them they were all in the 2" range. The yellow is the only pia sometimes. Since he is the lowest on the totem pole he is put in check real quick.

My tank is actually very peaceful, but you can see the pecking order when algae is added.

Currently my tangs:

Desjardini about 5"

Naso 6-7"

Hippo 4"

My desjardini is a real PITA and I have to use the mirror trick whenever I put a new fish in b/c he attacks everything for a day or two. Then he seems to forget and lives a pretty normal life. But if I start working in the tank he gets pissed and attacks everything that moves until my hands are clear.

If I were to add a yellow, is there a good way to add him that will keep the desjardini calm?

Can you pull the desjardini for a few days, add the yellow then add the desjardini back?

*shameless plug - still have available yellow tang *

I know you have one, shoot me a pic if you can.

But there is no way I could get him w/o pulling the tank apart. He is big, fat, and fast. Things that will make catching him next to impossible.

I think Origami's adding at night idea might be best for that. With my damsel tank, I've added a net breeder until the established fish are done taking out their pecking order from outside the divider. Usually keeps aggression to a minimal but hard to do with larger fish.I was just about to mention to MBVette that you have a very nice yellow tang ;)

You are able to have a yellow w/ a sailfin? I would love to add a yellow, but I dont think my sailfin (5" desjardini) would ever allow that to happen. He is an a-hole.

Yes. Of all the matches, this one took the longest to achieve. I attribute it to the similar shapes, but more so the yellow in the sailfin's pattern when combined with the shape. (I say this because the powder brown and Yellow have always gotten along.) The sailfin was introduced both after and smaller than the yellow. In this case, the yellow was the bully. Fortunately, there was enough rock work for there to be refuge for the sailfin where he was out of sight. Rather than socializing overnight, it took perhaps a week or so for socialization.

Yes. Of all the matches, this one took the longest to achieve. I attribute it to the similar shapes, but more so the yellow in the sailfin's pattern when combined with the shape. (I say this because the powder brown and Yellow have always gotten along.) The sailfin was introduced both after and smaller than the yellow. In this case, the yellow was the bully. Fortunately, there was enough rock work for there to be refuge for the sailfin where he was out of sight. Rather than socializing overnight, it took perhaps a week or so for socialization.

I wonder if it will work with bigger fish. being that mine is a 5" and if I got hypertech's I think he is like 4-4.5" I dont want there to be an all out fight, and that is what would hold me back from getting him.

FWIW, this yellow tang came from Dave Sun. In his larger tank, it was with at least one other yellow tang and maybe other tangs too. It got along fine there, but that is no guarantee how it will behave for you because who knows how long those had grown together (might have been added small).

Have you ever tried an acrylic fish trap? Those things work wonders catching fish. That's how I plan to get the yellow out of my tank once I have a buyer.

We love tangs too, in our 210 we have...

(in order from first to last added)

hippo tang

yellow eyed kole tang

sailfin tang

dussumieri tang

cheveron tang

I don't think I am leaving anyone out... But we tried the yellow with the sailfin and that didn't work out at all. I would just try and stay away from the tangs that are known to be really agressive.

I once saw how Copps had slipped some egg crate in vertically in his main display to separate a new fish from the rest of the tank. This gave the parties time to socialize before they could interact in earnest. My yellow tang can be aggressive anytime I add a new fish that dwells mid-column. For example, I added a small false perc just this past weekend and I'll be darned if that tang didn't want to make him aware of his place in the social hierarchy. Well, I shut the light off (again) and all was well again by the morning....

You're dussumieri is a gorgeous one!

That is one reason we compiled the list above, trying to just look at peacefulish tangs - but i know that some of you have success with those that can be pretty nippy towards each other. I already know my plan to add in a specific order won't last. I'll see a healthy tang that I wanted to add closer to the end and it'll be all over. But it's good to know that hierarchy disputes can be curbed somewhat.

Yea we love the dussumieri, brk hooked us up with that one. But once it settled in we noticed all the different color changes and pattern changes it will make when its mood changes, also it likes to make bubbles at the water surface. Definatly a favorite and a really peaceful fish in our tank, I think the little yellow eyed kole tang is the bully believe it or not...