Receding Brain

sen5241b

I got a small brain with a beautiful and unusual orange color. I noticed the flesh is receding around the edges but there is no dead tissue like you see when the coral is infected or when it has Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN) or STN. I noticed an emerald crab crawling on it at one point. Where the flesh is receded looks like it was picked clean. My other corals are looking fine although my lobo looks a little bit retracted

with the age of some of our wamas members I'm betting a receding brain is more of a widespread problem than the board lets on.

Whats your flow like across the brain?

I got a small brain with a beautiful and unusual orange color. I noticed the flesh is receding around the edges but there is no dead tissue like you see when the coral is infected or when it has Rapid Tissue Necrosis (RTN) or STN. I noticed an emerald crab crawling on it at one point. Where the flesh is receded looks like it was picked clean. My other corals are looking fine although my lobo looks a little bit retracted

Sounds like it would benefit from some target feeding.

Where is it placed?

If the tissue is expanding across rock, it can cause lacerations on the tissue which could cause it to recede. Also, I agree that target feeding is a good way to help it recover (on sand).

It might recede then start to grow again, but it's usually a goner if that bright green algae sets in on the old skeleton. Watch out for brown jelly which also means death.

Many crabs and shrimps are opportunistic feeders and when they find decay, they eat it. Sometimes this causes the coral further damage and then it subsequently dies and the aquarist blames it on his Emerald crab.

Most LPS seem to enjoy medium to lower light levels and medium flow. Keep puffy tissued LPS away from sharp objects or rough rock. You can tell where some LPS corals live by examining the bottom of the skeleton. If it's rough, it might have been pried off of the rock or grows encrusting. If it's pointed or conical, it probably came from a sand bed.

Salnity 1.023

Nitrates zero

calcium 490

Alk 7

Ph 8.3

temp 79

I had to leave town for 2 days and it has gotten worse and my lobo continues to look bad. It has med flow and light. My hammer, mushrooms (2 kinds), zoas (2 kinds), Echinophyllia (2 kinds), plate (funchia) all look just fine.

HELP!

I know this pic sucks but you can see the white receding area.

tracy.jpg

Edited by sen5241b

Do you dose magnesium. LPS need magnesium. It looks like it's wasting away. Does it have any polyp extension at all at this point? I'd try placing it in a cup with a little oysterfeast a couple of times a day or turing off powerheads and feed oysterfeast and cyclopeeze. All of my LPS respond very well to oysterfeast and cyclopeeze. They open up nicley when I feed. They also respond well to magnesium. I keep my mag at about 1600. This level helps to keep bryopsis out as well.

Do you dose magnesium. LPS need magnesium. It looks like it's wasting away. Does it have any polyp extension at all at this point? I'd try placing it in a cup with a little oysterfeast a couple of times a day or turing off powerheads and feed oysterfeast and cyclopeeze. All of my LPS respond very well to oysterfeast and cyclopeeze. They open up nicley when I feed. They also respond well to magnesium. I keep my mag at about 1600. This level helps to keep bryopsis out as well.

I dosed mag not to long ago but it is certainly worth it to test mag.

Your alkalinity is too low, get it over 7.5, I would get it into the 8-9 range.

why is 7.5 too low? what's better at 8-9?

Stability is the key. Don't try to push a parameter out of whack.

I dosed mag not to long ago but it is certainly worth it to test mag.

mg probably not an issue.

starvation is certainly one of the leading causes of death in aquaria. smaller frags also have a higher mortality rate.

I've fed the H-E-double hockey sticks out of it and I have another brain, Favia, that is looking good. I'm going to look at the problem brain it tonight with a redlight. I think something might be eating it at night. Kinda of a long shot but this is a weird one. I hate friking losing corals.

Think I'm gonna levae alk alone. I don't think 7 can be a big problem.

Edited by sen5241b