TOTM committee

zygote2k

I heard that the reason that we don't have TOTM anymore is because we don't have a committee. Last I knew, I was on this committee with Daniel, Travis, and Chip. Did I miss the news that it broke up or is there another one in the works?

Either way, lets start it up again and see if we can get the ball rolling again.

I am still willing to do the TOTM web page if still needed.

Bruce

I heard that the reason that we don't have TOTM anymore is because we don't have a committee. Last I knew, I was on this committee with Daniel, Travis, and Chip. Did I miss the news that it broke up or is there another one in the works?

Either way, lets start it up again and see if we can get the ball rolling again.

I was once part of TOTM but I would only ever be able to make 1-2 tanks a year for interviews. I think with most of us being working professionals with family and the TOTM winners the same it was just difficult to get times to sync up, not so much for the interview portions but its hard to find a good photographer with the time to make it over. Maybe the club could buy an older modle DSLR for TOTM use and do some rudamentry training for tank photos, I olny ever took a point and shoot with me but when I went my photos I think were good but would always pale in comparison to those taken by Daniel etc.

I think part of the worry of having a TOTM comittee that was large is that there would be "leaks" but at this point "leaks" would be preferable to not having a winner at all.

LASTLY ONE OF OUR BIGGEST DIFFICULTIES WAS GETTING PEOPLE NOMINATED, we need more nominations, frankly I think people will a running tank in the nano area and the dedicated tank area should be auto nominated and go from there.

getting nominations became difficult but just because a tank is nominated does not mean they were willing to except the nomination or would then except winning when they won. Being not ready when they won or wanting to wait a couple months down the road because they had a "slight problem" was a huge part of it. A typical TOTM could take three of us plus the winner 8+ hours to do by the time it was posted for your viewing pleasure.

So-

We have interest but maybe we do or do not have nominations.

How many nominations for TOTM can we get today? All you topic watchers can nominate someone and if we can get 10 or so, then we can take an online vote and hopefully before Turkey Day we can have a photo shoot and interview.

This really isn't that hard folks.

I'll do the first round of nominations-

Bill Voss- Old Reefer. 150 mixed with LED's

Zygote2k- myself. 100 LPS with LED's

There's 2 nominations- can we get 8 more today?

You have two but only need 1 winner.

Pick from what you have.

Photo shoot it, do the interview, edit your pics to fit the page you decide to do and I'll be one of plenty willing to see it when I arrive in OH about 4 oclock on turkey day.

it's that easy. :)

You have two but only need 1 winner.

Pick from what you have.

Photo shoot it, do the interview, edit your pics to fit the page you decide to do and I'll be one of plenty willing to see it when I arrive in OH about 4 oclock on turkey day.

it's that easy. :)

Ask and ye shall receive- done and uploaded. Don't know how to do page layout.

lets do this the easy way-

Members are responsible for sending a completed TOTM interview featuring their own tank. They have to submit a bio about themselves and a bio of the tank. They also need to submit many hi-quality digital photos. The TOTM committee would then select the best out of however many came in that month. This seems like the best way to ensure that there is always a fresh TOTM.

My thoughts are why does it have to be so detailed, does TOTM really need to be that involved?

Interviews? Photo sessions? Do we really need that?

Make the interview a questionnaire like the Who's Who in the newsletter. As far as the pictures go why doesnt the tank owner just take the pics. We dont need a pro to come and take photos for every single winner. This frees up alot of the time that everyone seems to complain there is not enough of. Its just a simple contest where nothing is really won except bragging rights.

Heck, dont even call it a contest, call it a show case. Select someone at random and just let them talk about their tank. doesnt even have to be a pretty tank.

To me, a simpler or watered down version of TOTM is better then none at all.

lets do this the easy way-

Members are responsible for sending a completed TOTM interview featuring their own tank. They have to submit a bio about themselves and a bio of the tank. They also need to submit many hi-quality digital photos. The TOTM committee would then select the best out of however many came in that month. This seems like the best way to ensure that there is always a fresh TOTM.

I suspect you will not get very many entries. That's a lot of work for someone to do to be considered. I'd be rather upset if I went to that much work preparing information about my tank to have it left on the cutting room floor.

Doing it quarterly and changing it to be a feature instead of a contest might get more interest built. It might also get people who have a nice tank but feel it isn't quite up to par just yet (even if it really is) more engaged.

i can ask my lady if she would be the photographer. she's an amateur professional photographer, so she's got the equipment and the skills to make the good pic's. but i'd need to know definitely if you guys need a photographer or not?

TOTM is not and never has been intended to be a contest.

It's really supposed to be about featuring a nice looking tank that had something unique to it like no skimmer, all DIY, sea horse, student, cold water, bla bla bla.

The reason TOTM committee voted was because we could only feature one tank at a time so we had to pick one.

Then there was a few who only wanted to have only "stellar looking" tanks which most of TOTM committee felt that was not a realistic slice of what most of our tanks are.

This, in my opinion, is why most of us no longer want to be nominated or except when nominated.

I suspect you will not get very many entries. That's a lot of work for someone to do to be considered. I'd be rather upset if I went to that much work preparing information about my tank to have it left on the cutting room floor.

Doing it quarterly and changing it to be a feature instead of a contest might get more interest built. It might also get people who have a nice tank but feel it isn't quite up to par just yet (even if it really is) more engaged.

It only takes about an hour to do a bio of yourself and tank. Pictures take a little while to upload too. I submitted my entry to TOTM committee yesterday. It has both bios and tons of pictures.

Hypertech- are you going to submit one?

Why don't you just do a fill in the blanks for the bio. The questions are always the same. Send it the person that's chosen so they can fill it in.

It only takes about an hour to do a bio of yourself and tank. Pictures take a little while to upload too. I submitted my entry to TOTM committee yesterday. It has both bios and tons of pictures.

Hypertech- are you going to submit one?